Job Title/Grade: Senior Global Practice Lead, Principal Global Practice Lead, Senior Principal Global Practice Lead (11-13) for Financial Services and Investment
Department: Technical Services
Reports to: Economic Growth Sector or Practice Manager
Date: June 24, 2019
Function of the Position:
DAI seeks a senior economic growth professional with hands-on experience in the area of financial services and investment who can help lead, provide vision and help enhance DAI’s leadership in these technical areas and develop a significant portfolio of projects funded by USAID and other donors. The Global Practice Lead will work in Technical Services/Economic Growth Sector and the Center for Digital Acceleration (CDA):
- Work with other Global Practice Specialists in the Technical Services/Economic Growth team and the Senior Director, CDA to establish and achieve new business targets based on market knowledge and intelligence;
- Help establish DAI’s reputation as a thought leader in the international community engaged in financial services, financial inclusion, investment, digital finance and digital economy. This may also include expanding our engagement in social payments (e.g., for social safety net programming), digital payments (including as part of domestic revenue mobilization/public financial management programs), digital economy, digital identification and cyber-security
- Identify and help position DAI to become a leading provider of technical assistance in financial services, investment finance, digital finance and economy and develop and test innovative approaches as reflected in winning proposals that will put DAI at the forefront of financial services, digital finance and transaction finance providers;
- Work with other global practices to find ways that digital finance by providing access to or funding for basic services and infrastructure in the areas of employment, health, education, agriculture, etc.
- Create worldwide partnerships for the delivery of financial services and digital economy including with but not limited to USAID, DFID, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the UN, GSMA, digital finance providers, consumer tech firms and others; and
- Deliver excellent technical support and innovation to USAID and other donor-funded projects being carried out by DAI teams worldwide.
The primary responsibility of the Lead will be to support the Financial Services Practice, including leading and supporting new business efforts, developing technical solutions, knowledge management, and product development, with a primary objective of demonstrating DAI’s thought and technical leadership and increasing sales and marketing.
The Lead will be responsible for building the capability of her/his direct reports by provided structured, focused, and on-going training, development, and coaching for performance.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Time will be allocated across business development, technical and knowledge management priorities according to corporate need and personal capabilities; however, the Lead will commit to spending a minimum of 20% of his/her time on leading, coaching, providing regular and directed performance feedback, and actively supporting the professional development of a number of direct reports within the sector.
Business Development and Growth
Responsibility for overseeing new business activities within one’s practice, including:
- Consults regularly with Sector VP, other EG Practice Managers and the Senior Director of the Center for Digital Acceleration (CDA) to ensure collaboration and alignment of new business resources.
- Engages new clients for DAI including private sector clients and non-traditional, non-USAID clients who are leading efforts to expand the use of digital finance and digital economy approaches.
- Manages practice staff to lead and contribute to high quality proposals; provides oversight of champions working on bids in practice/sector.
- Provides quality control/quality assurance by participating in pink/red teams as necessary including reviewing bid specific plans.
- Ensures that timely feedback on the quality of proposal support is provided to individuals and their supervisors.
- Provides practice updates on new business and ensures opportunities are moving forward in conjunction with SVP for EG and Opportunity Manager
- Serves as champion and/or lead writer on bids.
- Proactively identifies new opportunities with new clients in collaboration with Sector VP and CDA
- Participates in incubators to ensure high quality and innovation.
- Contributes to teams and personnel decisions made by bid champions to ensure soundness.
- Serves as sounding board for writers and champions.
- Provides technical leadership and services on behalf of the Financial Services Practice and CDA to projects, new business endeavors and other internally and externally facing initiatives.
- Engages with COPs and project teams to identify, adapt, and refine technologies, tools, solutions and approaches that advance the project’s goals. These solutions may be both technical or operational.
- Supports projects as requested by USG Delivery and CDA to ensure a high standard of technical excellence in delivery of results according to client expectations. Actively participates across practices and regions to integrate with other core DAI competencies.
- Participates in cross-sector, cross-practice and cross-business unit initiatives that foster and build DAI’s technical leadership or advance process improvements across teams.
- Undertakes short-term technical assignments for projects including training, high quality technical reports, assessments, recommendations and other deliverables as requested.
Knowledge Management and Coordination
- In concert with the SVP for EG, the Practice Lead and CDA will be responsible for enhancing DAI’s brand to our main clients, DFID, EU and USAID. The Lead will oversee the development of content for internal and external publications and communications including blogs, articles, reports, videos, presentations and other multi-media forms, and internal business development resources from DAI’s work in the technical area to enhance proposal quality.
- Supports the development and dissemination of DAI’s thought leadership with the aim of building and advancing DAI’s technical reputation and competitive position through participation in conferences, events and seminars, and social media and developing a network of partnerships with U.S. and foreign financial service organizations and associations, innovative emerging market fintech companies, experts, U.S., EU and U.K. government digital economy officials, and a network of consultants, finance experts, policy advisors and subcontractors.
- Builds knowledge base on existing and emerging technologies and business models linked to digital finance, developing, maintaining and facilitating contact with companies, organizations and firms leading these efforts. Creates awareness across the organization and looks for opportunities to incorporate these into the existing and proposed portfolio.
- Ensures lessons learned across the portfolio are capture and incorporated into new designs and implementation. Identifies, as appropriate, possible investments for DAI among existing vendors and partners.
- Works closely with Delivery, Strategy and Marketing, and other business units to capture technical achievements, lessons learned, and best practices to build on and advance DAI’s reputation as a thought leader in this technical area.
- Responsible for leading activities, efforts, and research relevant for the sector/practice.
- Develops integrated technical solutions that leverage technical skills and capabilities within and across sectors and in other DAI business units.
Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Grade 11: 11 years of relevant work experience and a Bachelor’s degree, or 9 years relevant work experience and a Master’s degree.
- Grade 12: 13 years of relevant work experience and a Bachelor’s degree, or 11 years relevant work experience and a Master’s degree.
- Grade 13: 17 years of relevant work experience and a Bachelor’s degree, or 15 years relevant work experience and a Master’s degree.
- At least 5 years of experience working in/with developing countries.
- Demonstrated experience conceptualizing and implementing strategic initiatives related to financial services, financial inclusion, digital finance and/or digital economy.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and lead teams for winning new business and delivering excellent results to clients.
- Ability to take on both leadership and support roles in the development of plans, proposals and in carrying out work.
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrated experience writing strong technical proposals for USAID or other clients.
- Ability to travel an estimated 25% of the time for proposal reconnaissance and provision of technical support to projects.
Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience leading and managing programs that deliver technical expertise/support in financial services, financial inclusion, digital finance and digital economy efforts.
- Expertise in investment finance.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
About the Organization
DAI is an international development companywith corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, Belgium, and Nigeria, and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Named one of the world’s top 40 international development innovators, DAI has delivered transformational development results in more than 150 countries for clients including development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.