Job Title/Grade: Global Practice Specialist II, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (9)
Senior Global Practice Specialist I, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (10)
Senior Global Practice Specialist II, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (11)
Department: Technical Services
Reports to: Global Practice Manager (MEL)
Date: August 8, 2019
Function of the Position:
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Senior Global Practice Specialist will be responsible for providing monitoring, evaluation, and learning expertise across project delivery, new business, and knowledge management efforts. S/he will support DAI’s efforts to improve the way data is collected, managed, used, and shared to achieve project outputs, outcomes, and impacts through short term technical assignments, proposal writing, and knowledge management. S/he will be responsible for finalizing outstanding MEL plans, coordinating MEL activities with USAID and local partners, and building capacity of DAI field staff to manage MEL activities in the future. The MEL Senior Global Practice Specialist will have a focused responsibility to provide technical support to USAID projects primarily in Europe, Africa, and Asia. This is a full-time professional position on the Managing for Development Results (MfDR) Team within DAI’s USG Business Unit, with travel up to 40% time.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The percentages listed below are notional and may change depending on business needs.
- Work with home office and field staff to support MEL needs during start-up, including participation in rapidly assigned STTA, recruitment of local MEL staff, and managing client expectations of MEL.
- Support on-going MEL activities in the field through home office and field assignments; provide technical knowledge and solutions to meet project needs while building capacity of local MEL staff and partners.
- Provide advanced analytics and statistical support for MEL related activities on projects, as requested.
- Lead training and capacity building activities for DAI project MEL staff around the world.
New Business (30%)
- Support business acquisition activities by reviewing MEL requirements in proposal documents and contributing written content to MEL sections of DAI proposals.
- Identify and work with MEL partners and subcontractors as needed.
- Support new business teams in development of causal models, theory of change, results framework, evaluation questions, learning agendas, and other high-level strategy modeling.
- Provide pre-positioning data analysis & support, such as concept development for new data collection tools or site selection.
Knowledge Sharing & Learning (20%)
- Conduct outreach to, and training activities for, DAI staff on various aspects of MEL.
- Manage MEL training curriculum and eLearning resources for project MEL staff.
- Write and create new tools and templates for DAI projects to use for MEL.
- Support the DAI MEL community of practice through MEL thought pieces and resource sharing.
Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Grade 9: Minimum of 7 years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 5 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree
- Grade 10: Minimum 9 years of experience and a Bachelor’s degree or 7 years of experience and a Master’s degree.
- Grade 11: Minimum 11 years of experience and a Bachelor’s degree or 9 years of experience and a Master’s degree
- Excellent communications skills
- Ability to meet deadlines, take initiative and accomplish work with minimal supervision
- Strong critical thinking capabilities with an ability to rapidly assess situational needs, develop problem solving strategies, and implement sustainable solutions
- Experience writing MEL Plans, drafting indicators and indicator reference documents, and surveying plans.
- Experience with statistical analysis, qualitative and quantitative methods, and applied research and learning through development projects
- Experience using digital technology for data collection, management, analysis, and reporting
- Experience in developing and leading training courses on monitoring, evaluation, and/or learning practices
- Able to travel internationally up to 40% of the time.
- Experience in applying MEL for USAID projects
- Experience conducting action research in field settings
- Comfortable independently managing research processes, logistics and local relationships in fast-moving field environments
- Experience working successfully and respectfully in local communities in developing world setting.
- French, Russian, or Arabic language preferred
Supervisory Requirements: None.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. EOE - Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
About the Organization
DAI is an international development companywith corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, Belgium, and Nigeria, and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Named one of the world’s top 40 international development innovators, DAI has delivered transformational development results in more than 150 countries for clients including development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.