Senior Governance & Learning Advisor
About Social Impact
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
SI is implementing the USAID/Vietnam Learns Contract. The scope of the five-year activity is to support USAID/Vietnam staff and its implementing partners to implement more efficient, effective, and sustainable programs by (1) improving staff knowledge and skills in Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) and Collaborating, Learning & Adapting (CLA); (2) advancing evidence-informed decision-making; (3) strengthening strategic collaboration between staff and local stakeholders.
SI is seeking a full-time Senior Governance & Learning Advisor to provide technical assistance to USAID on the integration of governance approaches into USAID/Vietnam’s portfolio and support ongoing learning efforts across the Mission. This is a full-time position for up to two years with the possibility of extension. The position is based in Hanoi, Vietnam with limited travel within Vietnam. This position will report to the Senior Director for Organizational Learning. The position will supervise consultants but is unlikely to supervise long-term staff. The expected start date is immediate.
**Please Note: This position is open to international candidates and local candidates.**
- Develop, in collaboration with USAID staff, an action plan for governance integration across the USAID/Vietnam portfolio. Lead on certain actions in the implementation plan, support other actions, and regularly update the plan based on progress and opportunities in the country.
- Support USAID staff and partners in understanding governance integration, particularly PITA principles (Participation, Inclusion, Transparency, and Accountability) and how they can be promoted in USAID’s work
- Provide governance expertise and input on project and activity designs to better integrate PITA principles
- Review partner work plans for opportunities for governance integration and provide technical assistance to partners
- Lead learning efforts on the Mission’s cross-cutting governance results. This may include the management of Most Significant Change across the Mission’s portfolio
- Support the Mission in reporting on and telling the story of its governance integration and cross-cutting governance results to relevant internal and external stakeholders
- Support the Mission in thinking and working politically in its programs
- Participate in scoping conversations with USAID staff to determine purpose and intended use of proposed studies and assessments; provide governance-related input on all studies including reviewing learning questions and research approaches.
- Provide quality control and management support on studies to ensure high quality work product
- Support utilization of information generated from studies by USAID and partners and incorporate governance-related learning into designs and implementation
- Other responsibilities, as determined by the Senior Director for Organizational Learning
- Review current activities with Mission A/CORs for opportunities for governance integration if possible
- Master’s degree in international development, political science, sociology, anthropology, or related field with 8 years of relevant experience in designing and/or implementing governance programs and integrating governance principles or BS/BA with 10 years of experience.
- Experience in Vietnam or similar political contexts preferred
- At least 5 years of experience in monitoring, evaluation & learning (MEL) or Collaborating, Learning & Adapting (CLA) required (can be concurrent with governance experience)
- Familiarity with the USAID Program Cycle strongly preferred
- Proven ability to manage ambiguity, maintain flexibility, take initiative, and find opportunities to create successful outcomes
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, communication and administrative skills are required.
- Ability to organize, manage, prioritize, and follow through on multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Strong work ethic and the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Written and oral fluency in English is required.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.