Design publications, presentations, infographics, websites, and other communications materials, digital and otherwise, for MSH, supporting the organization’s corporate needs and projects.
Oversee all Design Projects from Concept to Deliverable (50%)
- Direct the design and layout of all project deliverables and communications materials under the supervision of the Senior Editor.
- Lead the graphic design and branding for the maintenance of existing MSH websites and for the creation of any new websites (both corporate and project).
- Maintain a library of corporate and project-specific branding guidelines and train staff on their application in various formats (e.g. web, print materials, social media).
- Execute layout and design for key project deliverables, such as training courses, white papers, and guidance documents.
- Conceptualize, create, and execute graphics for reporting and communications products.
- Review the work of other graphic designer(s) in the organization.
- Manage freelance designers.
- Ensure consistent branding and design integrity of project deliverables.
- Conceptualize and execute effective informational graphics.
- Apply advanced functions of MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and related software to design, structure, and format reporting and communications products, including templates, reports, PowerPoints, brochures, newsletters, flyers, and websites.
Ensure MSH’s Visual Presentation is Up to Date and Cutting Edge (15%)
- Refresh and update MSH’s visual presentation to reflect our innovative approach.
- Create templates, designs, and other visuals to ensure that our presentation is consistent, coherent, and audience-centered across our projects.
- Advise the organization on best principles, effective use, and innovations in design.
Implement Branding and Design on Social Media Platforms (10%)
- Work with the communications team to provide technical support, publishing, and development of effective and relevant visual social media content to increase the visibility of MSH and its programs.
- Coordinate with team members to promote publications and use of content for MSH corporate and project-level social media accounts.
- Produce compelling graphics, videos, and other visually engaging material that encourage sharing on social media.
Oversee Design and User Experience on External Websites (25%)
Qualifications and Experience
- Oversee the design and user experience on all MSH websites to improve knowledge management and promote the company and programs.
- Design and apply online templates for platforms using Drupal and WordPress.
- Coordinate with the communications team, including Senior Specialist Digital Communications, to create and maintain content across platforms.
- Produce compelling images and other visual content for the web that accurately convey the technical work of our projects.
- Provide guidance and oversight to consultants to improve plug-ins, resolve technical issues, and implement new web features.
- Bachelor of Arts in graphic design or related field.
- Experience in government, international development, or nonprofit.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong working knowledge of InDesign, MS Office suite, and Adobe creative suite.
- Strong working knowledge of design using web CMSs; WordPress and Drupal experience is required.
- Experience with design for social media and digital media and marketing required.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain organizational and project brands across all platforms and materials.
- Strong multi-tasking, organizational, and time-management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Strong organizational skills, able to problem solve, and work with field offices on numerous projects. Take initiative and work well both as part of a team and independently.
- Ability to learn and execute complex workflow procedures.
- Ability to assess priorities, work gracefully under pressure with multiple deadlines, and manage projects through to their successful completion with attention to detail and quality.
- Demonstrated good decision making.
- Ability to work efficiently and promote collaboration within remote, international team.
- Travel requirements: no travel.
About the Organization
Management Sciences for Health, an international nonprofit organization, is dedicated to closing the gap between what is known and what is done about public health problems. MSH saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 30 country offices and our US headquarters, our staff from 65 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a nonprofit international health organization composed of more than 2,000 people from 73 nations. Their mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with their partners, they are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
MSH takes an integrated approach to building high-impact sustainable programs that address critical challenges in leadership, health systems management, human resources, and medicines. Simply put, they support stronger health systems for greater health impact.
Their expertise in these areas falls into the broad categories of management functions—for example, leadership and governance or pharmaceutical management—and health areas like tuberculosis or maternal, newborn, and child health. They apply their expertise by
- Partnering with governments, local organizations, and communities in developing nations to build their own capacity for long-term health impact;
- Providing global leadership in critical areas of health management and health care delivery;
- Bringing the best of MSH from around the globe to the people we serve, working as One MSH with a focus on lasting health system improvements.
Leadership, Governance, & Management
They work with in-country partners to build stronger health systems to improve:
- the management and leadership of priority health programs, health organizations, and multisectoral partnerships such as The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, developing a critical mass of managers at all levels of the health system who can lead and inspire teams to achieve results;
- the management systems of health organizations in the public and private sector, transferring practical approaches and skills to ensure that management structures contribute to sustainable organizational success;
- the governance and management of health organizations and multisectoral partnerships, facilitating change and transferring knowledge to enable organizations to administer their resources efficiently and scale up their services.
Health Service Delivery
MSH combines extensive public health expertise, proven service delivery approaches, and evidence-based interventions in five critical areas:
- HIV & AIDS
- Maternal, newborn, and child health
- Family planning and reproductive health
- Other communicable diseases, including malaria and pandemic and avian influenza
Human Resources for Health
MSH helps governments develop multisectoral strategies and policies to plan and manage their health workforces. We use a comprehensive approach that addresses all the facets of human resources for health needed to achieve an adequate supply of well-trained and motivated health workers. MSH offers capabilities in leadership, human resource management, education, partnerships, policy, and finance to achieve these goals.
Vital to our success is a participatory approach to project design and implementation, which cultivates broad-based support from all stakeholders. We also build and improve infrastructure and local capacity to effectively purchase, store, deliver, and use quality essential medicines.
Health Care Financing
MSH helps governments and NGOs assess their current financial situation and systems, understand service costs, and develop initiatives to use existing funds more effectively and generate additional revenue—all with the goal of supporting a nation’s health priorities.
MSH has developed proven methods for rapidly strengthening the analysis and use of existing health data—normally at the province, district, and facility levels—without revising existing recording and reporting requirements. With an emphasis on learning through action, district teams undertake assessments of health services, identify gaps in performance, and design solutions to support better decision-making and, therefore, better management of improved services.
MSH has worked closely with the Health Metrics Network of the WHO to develop a comprehensive approach for enhancing the performance of health information systems and data by employing a practical, strategic planning process that can be carried out by national working groups.