Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status. Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits. For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90-plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is seeking a Senior Health Finance Advisor who will provide leadership, direction, and content to health finance policy development and implementation in Rwanda. Responsibilities require knowledge and experience in health finance as well as of state-of-the-art innovations in the domain area.
The HF Advisor has overall technical responsibility for the project health financing portfolio. Primary responsibility will be to assist country teams to develop technical strategies, approaches and plans, implement activities and monitor progress towards outlined project milestone/deliverables/ approved workplans. The Advisor will also develop technical documents, provide technical oversight to team, manage the technical aspects of outsourcing any technical services, review and finalize technical products (studies, reports, briefers, slide decks) and provide overall capacity building support and mentoring to the country teams.
This position will be based in Kigali and is contingent upon contract award to Palladium.
Leadership and Management
- Lead design and implementation of technical support activities related to health financing in Rwanda
- Stays abreast of key developments in health finance, budget advocacy, community-based health insurance, and resource allocation innovations and interventions in Rwanda to inform technical activities under the Rwanda IHSA. This includes frequent interaction with the Government of Rwanda stakeholders relevant to this area as well as multilateral partners and donor agencies
- Represents the project, company, and programs in the health financing area in Rwanda, as well as with others in the professional community.
- Prepares financial protection and domestic resource mobilization analyses, recommendations, briefing notes, and assessments for internal and client use
- Provides assistance to others on matters related to topic area of research and evaluation and applies relevant methodologies to programmatic issues of importance
- Supervises short-term local consultants in Rwanda assigned to health finance activities
- Interacts with internal and external resources and other experts to bring new and “cutting edge” ideas into approaches
- Conducts all work to accepted standards of research ethics
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Lead and manage staff professional development to build their capacity and strengthen competency and professional development;
- Provide technical staff training where necessary (i.e. On- the- job -training, through coaching or formal short courses facilitated by managers themselves to develop to skills and knowledge);
- Conduct regular staff performance appraisals, monitoring progress and setting objectives: this is part of the organization’s performance management system and performance appraisal system;
- MPH, MBA or MA in international development, international relations, public policy, or related field.
- At least 8 years of experience in international development
- Advanced degree in health economics with academic specialization in health financing or commensurate work experience in health finance
- Significant working experience in health finance and health economics
- Experience in public financial management, decentralization and citizen engagement, health policy and financing, local economic development, and/or public-private partnerships (PPPs) desirable
- Familiarity or experience with Rwanda health system is a plus
- Familiarity with USAID-supported projects (experience with West or East Africa a plus)
- Sound knowledge of methodologies used in health finance research
- Knowledge of relevant literature related to topic area
- Appropriate computer skills necessary to conduct research, and to conduct analysis of study data
- Prior experience working with USAID-funded programs is not required, but will be an added advantage
- Strong analytical and computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, web-based research) - this includes data analytics
- Ability to multi-task and keep track of concurrent activities and deadlines
- Fluency in English required
- Strong written and oral communication skills for high-level policy audiences
- Must be willing to live and travel within Rwanda.