Requisition ID: req1590
Job Title: Senior Health Manager
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Since August 25, 2017 more than 671,000 people have escaped from Myanmar into Cox Bazar, Bangladesh. As Monsoon rains being in March, the population in the refugee camps are at a high risk of floods and landslides. More than 150,000 refugees are at risk of being directly impacted by these natural disasters. Along with monsoon rains, tropical cyclones are prone to this area from March to October, which could bring catastrophic damage and loss of life to both host and refugee populations. There is a risk that health facilities will be inaccessible or damaged by the weather events. As a result, health needs are expected to exacerbate significantly during the monsoon season. In response to this threat, IRC is creating Mobile Medical Teams (MMTs) which will be dedicated to responding to affected areas by providing immediate lifesaving emergency and primary health care services to the population. Furthermore, IRC is the lead agency leading the MMT taskforce on behalf of the health sector.
* The Senior Emergency Health Manager will work with the Senior Health Coordinator to rapidly operationalise the following:
* IRC Mobile Medical Teams - providing training to the staff and ensuring needed supplies are in place to rapidly respond to emergencies.
* MMT Response Coordination - provide support to the coordination and dispatch of MMTs across agencies on behalf of the health sector and as part of the overall emergency response coordination mechanism.
* MMT Taskforce - provide support for the continued operationalisation of the MMT preparedness and response plan for the whole health sector.
Senior Emergency Health Manager Tasks and Responsibilities:
* Support with the development of job aides/protocols and a training package for MMTs.
* Support with the roll-out of training for IRC MMT staff.
* Directly supervise the IRC MMTs.
* Provide on-the-ground support when MMTs are deployed to ensure quality of service delivery and accordance with best practices. Support with the establishment of M&E systems for MMTs including data collection and reporting tools.
* Provide support to develop project work, spending and procurement plans.
* Support with the development of systems for medical drugs and supplies management.
* Participate in the development of proposals, budgets and concept notes for future emergency health interventions.
* Provide support for the rapid start-up of any new IRC health programs in response to the emergency.
* Provide support to existing IRC health programs as required.
* Work with IRC protection teams to maximize project coordination and integration, ensuring rapid start-up of activities to meet the complex needs of affected populations.
* In collaboration with the Senior Health Coordinator provide support for the overall health response strategy, sector coordination and representation.
* Other duties as assigned by the IRC Health Coordinator to enable and develop IRC programs.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Senior Health Coordinator/Health Coordinator
Position directly supervises: MMT staff
Works closely with: ERT, Head of Mission, Health & Protection staff
* Health professional (MD, RN or Midwife)
* At least 3 years of international experience in implementing and managing NGO health programs, preferably in complex humanitarian and/or emergency settings
* Background in situation analysis and health assessments
* Strong ability to support and build the capacity of the health national team and strengthening of health systems (building the capacity of and working with local government counterparts)
* Proven experience supervising a multi-national staff in a complex, insecure emergency setting
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Excellent experience in grant management and proposal writing
* Additional qualities: ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility, cultural and environmental sensitivity
* Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
About the Organization
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 27 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.