Senior Human Resources Manager
School for International Training
World Learning’s accredited academic institution, School for International Training (SIT), seeks a Senior Human Resources (HR) Manager to oversee HR Administration and provide generalist support to managers and employees (faculty and staff) in the areas of employee relations and recruitment. The position will serve as the lead human resources point of contact and will be responsible for delivering the department’s goals and proving support across all employee types who are both based at SIT’s main campus and globally. S/he will foster and maintain positive relationships with managers and staff at all levels of the organization to ensure effective administration, definition, and delivery of all benefits, recruitment and employee relations related policies and programs. The Senior HR Manager will participate in policy development and review and will provide support to managers and employees in the area of policy interpretation and application for federal/state/local and when applicable international- employment laws and internal HR policies both at a local and global level.
This position requires frequent work with confidential information including employee information, compensation, and benefits. The Senior HR Manager will be responsible for counseling managers and employees on labor laws and World Learning’s HR policies; providing guidance to SIT’s leadership teams to foster good employee relations; supporting recruitment for departments; expanding recruitment sources; facilitating compensation policies to managers; overseeing performance management process; managing benefits plans and programs; ensuring regulatory compliance; and supporting roll out of new HR systems. The position will supervise junior human resources staff and will be responsible for assuring that the unit’s personnel actions and activities are compliant with relevant federal/state/local- and when applicable international- policies. The position will be responsible for integrating HR best practices within the unit. The position will be based in World Learning’s Vermont office.
The Senior HR Manager will be responsible for providing HR guidance and support to all SIT staff (faculty and staff) located both in Vermont and globally.
- Provide counseling to managers and employees (faculty and staff) in the interpretation and application of federal, state, and local and when applicable international- employment laws and World Learning’s HR policies and procedures;
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality and discretion in the management of sensitive information;
- Provide employee relations counseling to the SIT executive team, managers and individual contributors as needed;
- Provide recruitment-related support to hiring departments, including recruitment process approvals, screening of resumes and participating in the interview process, and provide basic interviewing skills training and/or coaching as needed;
- Assist managers and employees with compensation and pay-related issues to ensure fair and equitable application of compensation policy;
- Oversee the performance management cycle and ensure all employees receive formal and written annual reviews;
- Continually assess and expand recruitment sources, particularly specialized internet sites, to reach a well-qualified and diverse applicant pool;
- Partner with benefits/compensation and systems team members to ensure efficient and cost-effective administration of all benefit plans and programs to include (medical, dental, vision, flex spending, 403B, life insurance, STD/LTD, online benefits administration system and employee benefits self-serve portal, leave programs including; paid time off, tuition assistance, tuition exchange, professional development, computer loan, Vermont staff events and other programs);
- Ensure regulatory compliance with legal requirements pertinent to the day-to-day management of employees;
- Collaborate with the legal department when necessary;
- Supervise SIT’s International HR Manager on application of policies that affect staff in international locations;
- Support the roll out of new HR systems and tools by delivering training to users, handling questions, and troubleshooting;
- Provide supervision and oversight of junior staff including hiring, coaching, training, work assignments, and managing performance.
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in a related field, Masters degree highly desired;
- Five to eight years of related HR generalist experience with one to two years’ experience in a managerial role;
- Two to three years’ experience in employee relations within a diverse community;
- Two to three years’ experience in hourly and salaried level recruitment;
- Demonstrated experience supervising junior staff;
- Demonstrated experience working with global staff who are located in various time zones;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks, manage projects, and meet deadlines;
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills;
- Ability to work with all levels within the organization and with a diverse employee population;
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MSWord, Excel and HRIS/HRMS;
- Ability to handle confidential information;
- Experience working in an educational environment or a university setting;
- Experience analyzing HR functions in the context of a global organization.
About the Organization
About World Learning
World Learning is a rewarding place to work. Our education, development, and exchange programs are transformative. We help people find their voices, connect with their communities, strengthen the institutions that form the backbone of a democratic society, and build relationships across cultures—all in pursuit of a more peaceful and just world.
Our sister institution, School for International Training (SIT), is a global institution offering programs at the graduate and undergraduate levels. An SIT education challenges our students to think critically and provides them with skills to tackle the most critical contemporary global issues. Our values – inclusion, experiential education, engaged learning, community, reciprocity, social justice, and sustainability – foster the development of leaders committed to social justice, peace, and understanding across cultures.
Why Work for World Learning/SIT
World Learning and our accredited sister academic institution, School for International Training, apply the same philosophy to building our team as we employ in our work around the world. We offer an inclusive and supportive environment that values the contributions of our colleagues across all departments and areas of expertise. We nurture leadership skills, lifelong learning, and collaborative working relationships among our staff members. And we offer opportunities designed to help employees succeed in their careers, including generous benefits, flexible schedules, professional development funds, and tuition assistance for graduate-level programs.
School for International Training (SIT) is a member of the World Learning Inc. family, which also includes World Learning and The Experiment in International Living.
World Learning is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action/veterans/ADA employer, committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce.