IntraHealth International is seeking candidates for the role of Senior Human Resource Management Advisor for an anticipated five-year, USAID-funded Health Workforce Improvement Program (HWIP) in Ethiopia. This project will work with the Ministry of Health (MOH) at the national and sub-national levels (regional, zonal and woreda), higher educational institutions that provide healthcare education under the Ministry of Education (MOE), and targeted health worker professional associations, to create greater efficiency and self-reliance for delivery of quality health services through qualified health workers. The focus will be on institutional and individual capacity building to improve the quality of pre-service education for priority clinical cadres, improve the competency of clinical health care workers, and build the skills of health human resource managers.
The Senior Human Resource Management Advisor will provide strategic direction and oversight for the institutionalization of HR governance structures, policies, and mechanisms required for effective management of Ethiopia’s Human Resources for Health (HRH) systems. This will include strengthening leadership and governance; workforce performance improvement; evidence-based human resource planning, strengthening recruitment, deployment and retention practices; and health education and health workforce regulation. The Senior Advisor is expected to strengthen human resource directorates in the MOH, Regional Health Bureaus (RHBs), and woreda (district) health offices and oversee the professionalization of HRM at different levels of the Ethiopian health system, including institutes of higher learning. S/he ensures a comprehensive approach to human capacity development and provides programmatic leadership to ensure seamless planning, implementation of activities, and technical support. The Senior Human Resource Management Advisor will report to the Chief of Party and will be based in Addis Ababa.
The ideal candidate will have technical expertise and prior experience in HRH program implementation, and more specifically HRM and performance improvement, and experience networking with Government of Ethiopia and other key stakeholders. The Senior Advisor must be skilled in working in collaboration with host country governments and partner organizations, providing strong technical oversight to staff, modeling effective technical leadership skills, communicating and networking, completing deliverables on time, and achieving results. Previous experience working on USAID-funded projects is a plus.
This position is contingent upon award and approval by USAID.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Planning and project development
- Work closely with the MOH, RHBs and Woreda leaders and teams to strengthen the capacity of existing and new HR managers to plan and manage the workforce.
- Collaborate with and support select training schools to improve post-graduate education in HRH management.
- Design and implement long- and short-term retention schemes that are relevant to the Ethiopian health delivery system, including strategies specifically focused on retention of health workers in rural areas.
- Formulate cost effective and sustainable mechanisms to ensure improved regulation of health teaching facilities and providers in Ethiopia.
- Work closely with the MOE, MOH, RHBs, the private sector and professional associations to strengthen the national system for health workforce licensure and regulation.
- Build on and expand existing practices for data driven HRH planning.
- Strengthen the staff training needs assessment system, enhancing staff management and leadership development and strengthening the link to external pre-service training.
- Support the institutionalization of leadership, management and governance (LMG) capacity building for health leaders and managers, including overall change management processes related to improving LMG practices at decentralized levels.
- Project management, implementation, and delivery of technical results
- Ensure the alignment of daily project activities to achieve Result Area 2 - improved Health Workforce management and regulation capacity. Ensure implementation is aligned with project goals, approved workplans and standards for high quality. Ensure project activities are within budget and delivered on time.
- Supervise and oversee project staff and consultants and coordinate technical assistance to ensure high-quality and timely deliverables as required.
- In collaboration with project Finance & Administration staff, implement management systems to administer all project activities.
- Program learning, research, and communications
- Contribute to the development and on-going use of a project monitoring and evaluation plan, including indicators linked to results that meet all USAID reporting requirements.
- Provide appropriate, timely, and accurate monitoring and evaluation of project activities and outcomes. Ensure that project reports are complete and submitted to meet all USAID requirements.
- Meet all local financial obligations, monitor and track expenditures, and prepare regular financial reports for submission to IntraHealth Headquarters and USAID.
- Oversee proper documentation of project results, evidence and evaluations from project, and lessons learned from this project. Disseminate this information within and beyond the project and USAID/Ethiopia, to partners and other implementers.
- Relationship management
- With the Chief of Party, respond promptly to donor and other key stakeholder inquiries and concerns.
- Maintain good working relationships with partners and sub-grantees.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Graduate degree in international public health, international development, public administration, management, social sciences or a related discipline.
- Deep understanding and knowledge of the Ethiopian health system.
- At least seven years of progressively responsible experience in each of the following areas:
- Designing and implementing HRH quality improvement programs, including health workforce regulation.
- Proven experience in designing and implementing leadership, management and governance programs for health leaders and managers
- Providing technical leadership to training institutions, regional, zonal, and district health offices on workforce performance improvement activities.
- Guiding and providing technical assistance to Project/host country government staff working on HRH.
- Interacting with other donors, implementing partners, and host country government in HRH quality improvement issues.
- Excellent communication, supervisory and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated leadership skills and experience supervising a team. Ability to build synergies across technical disciplines, leverage private sector resources, and nurture innovative alliances.
- Understanding of USAID administrative procedures and requirements.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required. Fluency in Amharic is a plus. Willingness to locate to Addis Ababa and to travel within Ethiopia required.
About the Organization
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work. Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective. Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1