Background Information - Job Specific
UNOPS strategy for Ethiopia is aimed at providing support to the Government and people of Ethiopia though the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities and also under the UN Delivery as One initiative. The UNOPS Ethiopia Operational Hub (ETOH) has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been appointed as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS Ethiopia office is implementing and negotiating a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (UN Compound & Airstrips) development, Procurement Support to Government Ministries and other UN agencies and finally HR support to UN agencies.
The functional objective of UNOPS ETOH is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Ethiopia and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged.
This position is located in the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) IT Strategic Advisory Unit (SAU), Information Technology & Umoja Support Section (ITUSS) of the Public Information and Knowledge Management Division (PIKMD). The incumbent works under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Strategic Advisory Unit (SAU).
- Performs plan and specifications analysis to provide clear, traceable and coordinated interpretations of requirements to design and implementation;
- Contribute actively in developing, documenting and executing detailed project work plans and schedule;
- Assist in the evaluation and solution of potential project risks;
- Provide technical guidance to development team, in accordance with pre-determined guidelines and standards, to ensure project compliance with specifications and design instructions;
- Research and recommend solutions to design issues and assist in the preparation of change requests to resolve design issues;
- Conduct quality control activities in accordance with quality management plan, using specified control measures and tests;
- Attend project coordination and Stakeholders meetings as required;
- Assist in monitoring and measurement of project progress and in project documentation as required by project methodology and process;
- Participate in customer sessions to collect, analyze, validate and document business requirements, processes, business rules and workflows;
- Translate business to technical know-how and visual models defining technical solution in collaboration with technical teams;
- Conduct options analysis and recommend optimal solutions to address stakeholder requirements;
- Recommend business solutions, including viability of usage of existing IT systems and/or infrastructure and industry IT standards/solutions relevant to business requirements;
- Plan, design and execute application testing, change management and release management;
- Interface between business units, technology teams and support teams and effectively coordinate communication to deliver functional requirements like GUI, screen and interface designs and enable the translation of business requirements into functional and technical specifications; and
- Work closely with cross-functional teams and technical staff to manage the design of documentation in support of enterprise systems projects and service delivery.
- Creates and Analyzes Business Requirements Documents (BRD) to capture the business’s functional and non-functional requirements, business rules as well as document use cases for both business and system aspects for the unit’s main projects;
- Develops and document process workflows diagrams and workflow narrations;
- Develops application screen mockups and screen flows; translate screen design and workflows into Wireframes and/or prototypes;
- Manages the full project life cycle for assigned projects including clear definition of work scope, deliverables, schedule, resource requirements, and establishment of cost baselines;
- Assists with developing project status reports to communicate project performance to senior management and project governance boards on a regular basis for all projects within the unit;
- Anticipates and evaluates potential risk areas throughout the duration of the project and proposes/pursues mitigation, avoidance, and corrective action plans to management as necessary, escalates issues to Unit Head’s attention for guidance and assistance in reaching a resolution;
- Assists in scheduling planning, status, design review, and issue management meetings for key unit projects;
- Creates Quality Assurance plans and develops/participates in documenting test strategies, test plan and test scenarios to facilitate user acceptance testing;
- Develops and documents traceability (matrix) assurance [the link between requirements, technical design, code and system configurations];
- Supervise the daily activities of the software development team and ensure assigned activities are completed on schedule and according to the sections standards;
- Coordinate with the IT Training team on delivering relevant training for new IT solutions being delivered into the organization; and
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the unit head.
Education/Experience /Language requirements
- Master’s degree or equivalent in information technology or in field related to the post description. A first level university degree with a combination of relevant academic qualifications and experience in information and communications technology may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
- PRINCE2 foundation and practitioner certification is highly desirable.
- Experience with Agile Software development methodology is an advantage.
- A minimum of 2 years for first level university degree and professional experience in IT application design/development is required with some project management and/or business analysis experience, or a Master’s degree with some relevant experience is required, preferably in an international environment and on cross functional projects with diverse personnel. Ability to assist coordination of enterprise application deployments and advanced knowledge of Project Management tools and methodologies, visual modelling and other business analysis tools, and application development life cycle is highly desirable. Strong understanding of Microsoft server technologies and Microsoft SharePoint is an asset.
- Knowledge/experience of IT domains such as virtualization and network infrastructure is an asset.
- Knowledge/experience ITIL and CobiT frameworks are highly desirable;
- Familiarity with project management methodologies (such as Prince2) is an added advantage.
- Fluency in English both written and spoken is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type - Individual Contract Agreement
- Contract level - I-ICA1 and
- Contract duration- Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
About the Organization
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.