The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has contracted Social Solutions to recruit and hire qualified individuals for the following position:
Title: Senior Information Systems Advisor
Location: Washington, DC
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Salary Range: GS-14 equivalent
The Bureau for Global Health (GH) is the USAID/Washington operating unit charged with providing technical support to improve the health of people in the developing world by expanding health services, including family planning/reproductive health and maternal/child health; strengthening health systems; and addressing HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, avian influenza and other public health threats. GH’s primary role in the health program area is to strengthen field operations, promote research and technical innovation, and provide leadership and training.
Within GH, the Office of Program, Planning and Policy’s Division of Strategy, Analysis, Evaluation, and Outreach (SAEO), leads the Bureau review of strategic plans and coordinates their approval. Additionally, the Division liaises within the Agency and with the Department of State regarding Agency strategy, policy development and implementation. SAEO leads the Bureau in program planning and performance monitoring as well as facilitating cross-cutting issues such as supporting information technology solutions to support our Bureau’s work. The Division facilitates periodic data collection, conducts analyses and provides written inputs for annual reports and other Agency performance reporting requirements. This Division serves as the primary GH resource for USAID monitoring and evaluation policies and practices; oversees implementation of the Bureau monitoring and evaluation plan and analyzes and disseminates evaluation findings, conclusions, recommendations and best practices as appropriate. SAEO provides analyses for country and GH planning and portfolio reviews and supports planning efforts for the GH Bureau and in GH technical offices.
The Senior Information Systems Advisor (Senior Advisor) will provide expert advice, guidance and support on matters related to the strategic planning, development, procurement, use and management of information technology solutions to improve Bureau and overseas Mission operations and programming. S/he will work closely within SAEO and P3 as well as directly advise Bureau Senior Leadership, Mission staff, and other GH offices. The Senior Advisor will need a broad set of technology disciplines including IT project management, strategic design, software and database engineering design and best practices, and cyber security, as well as an ability to understand how these disciplines relate to USAID’s Global Health Bureau goals and objectives. S/he will receive day-to-day guidance from the SAEO Division Chief as his/her point of contact.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Information Systems Advisor will be responsible for the following areas and list of illustrative tasks:
Policy and Strategy
- Serve as the lead advisor and coordinate the implementation of Agency policy and strategy related to business intelligence and IT solutions across the GH Bureau and support Missions’ implementation when applicable.
- Support the Bureau’s Lead Data Steward in order to maintain compliance with Agency policy and Federal law.
- Manage and facilitate a collaboration of Bureau-wide Data Stewards and recommend Bureau policies and procedures.
- Directly advise Agency senior leadership in the planning, design and development of Agency policies that directly impact the work of GH Bureau and Missions, including advising them on how such policies might impact GH’s IT-related business processes.
- Support Mission Health Offices in the development, planning and management of e-Health strategies.
- Advise GH Bureau leadership and offices in the planning and design of IT strategic frameworks.
- Act as an advisor for the GH Bureau in discussions directly related to Agency policy, with the aim that the development of Agency Policy reflects the needs of the GH Bureau.
- Act as the Senior Advisor to Agency IT systems development projects, like the Development Information Solution, with the aim that GH needs are accounted for and reflected in Agency decisions.
- With USAID Point of Contact (POC) oversight, work as the GH Bureau’s liaison to the Office of the Chief Information Officer (CIO) Liaison, coordinating in support of the GH Bureau in all discussions related to the CIO, both within the GH Bureau and across the Agency.
- Review and provide recommendations on the applicability and feasibility of IT solutions to the work of GH.
- Provide guidance on the current trends in the application of Informational and Communication Technology (ICT) in the global health industry, U.S. Government, and within the Agency.
- Advise USAID Mission health offices to help plan procurements, coordinate the management of contractors, support project management efforts, and advise on solution adoption.
- Assist GH offices and Mission Health Offices in hiring IT technical expertise, including developing draft scopes of work, assisting with interviews, and evaluation of applicants.
- Specific areas of technical assistance are incorporated throughout this duties and responsibilities section.
- As GH’s IT Lead Advisor, provide technical expertise on the planning, design, procurement, and management of IT solutions for the Bureau’s portfolio management needs, including input to A/CORs on their implementing mechanisms and the Data Hub on its infrastructure needs.
- Collaborate with the CIO’s office to perform business analysis necessary to inform the leadership of the feasible options.
- Serve as a lead advisor for GH Data and any future GH mechanisms with a significant IT component. For GH Data, this includes managing buy-in requests and supporting offices and Missions throughout the project lifecycle.
- Manage and update the GH Users Guide web system.
- Support the Bureau’s ISSO (Information Systems Security Officer), a CIO-mandated position for all IT systems projects.
- Assist GH in navigating the CIO FITARA requirements for project approval, including with the Authority to Operate (ATO) process.
- Coordinate in support of GH on intra Agency working groups on the topic of cybersecurity and its impact on Agency and Mission IT planning.
- Work directly with Mission health offices to plan IT cyber security best practices and implementation of cybersecurity frameworks in IT projects.
- Master’s degree (MBA or MPP preferred) and 9+ years of relevant experience in Management Information Systems, Business Intelligence, or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience with the information technology (IT) development life cycle and the associated critical success factors and risks is required.
- At least 3 years of experience working in an international or resource challenged setting is highly desirable.
- Experience with the federal government and familiarity with federal rules and regulations related to IT preferred.
- Project management and strategy development experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Working knowledge of the business intelligence capabilities, the necessary IT architecture, and the latest technology tools and services (Tableau, Microstrategy, Salesforce, etc.).
- International and domestic travel approximately 10%.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Candidates selected will be subject to a background investigation and must obtain and maintain a favorable adjudication as applicable to their position/duties.
- Secret-level clearance is required.
About the Organization
Social Solutions International, Inc. (Social Solutions) is a Hispanic and woman-owned business emphasizing quality research and evaluation, training and technical assistance, and institutional support services. We are a mission-driven organization that believes that superior science can improve the world. Social Solutions is dedicated to the creation of social and health solutions to improve the welfare of underserved populations worldwide.
Social Solutions offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits.
Please submit your resume online at: https://jobs-socialsolutions.icims.com/jobs/1575/senior-information-systems-advisor/job?mode=view
NOTE: In order to fully evaluate your eligibility, your resume must include relevant paid and non-paid work experience showing dates held with month and year and hours worked per week for each position. Any experience that does not include dates held and hours worked per week may not be counted.
Social Solutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.
GHSI-III is a Federal services contract contingent on the availability of appropriated funds until the end of the designated contract period. Contract employees of GHSI-III are not U.S. Government employees and cannot perform Inherently Governmental Functions.