EnCompass LLC is seeking a Senior Learning Specialist to use innovative approaches to lead efforts in instructional design and delivery for the USAID-funded Generate Results within Our Work (GROW) project. In addition to being responsible for the design and delivery of in-person training initiatives, this individual will provide technical direction for the design and technology-enhanced learning workstreams of the project. The Senior Learning Specialist will ensure that GROW-supported training activities reflect good practices in instructional design and the use of educational technologies, including face-to-face delivery, action learning, course platforms, e-learning courses, videos, virtual Instructor-Led training (vILT), and other learning products, with a focus on incorporating a variety of media and learning methods to create an effective learning environment. This person will be responsible for ensuring that high quality standards are integrated consistently throughout GROW-supported training approaches and materials. Experience with USAID-funded projects is preferred.
The position will report to the GROW Chief of Party and work closely with the Lead of the GROW Design Team in GROW’s matrix management structure. The position is based at EnCompass headquarters, in Rockville, Maryland. The Senior Learning Specialist will be required to work from the client’s site in the Washington, D.C., metro area 1-2 days per week.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to thought leadership on instructional design best practices and implementation of blended learning, including identifying and implementing innovative technologies and approaches
- Design curricula for face-to-face and virtual learning sessions using creative, innovative, and evidence-based approaches; develops storyboards for e-learning and videos
- Develops blended learning courses and speaks knowledgeably with clients about the value of blended learning and learning evaluation through Kirkpatrick Levels 1-4
- Develop dynamic, experiential learning session designs, including macro designs based on client content, and training scripts
- Work effectively with client subject matter experts (SMEs)
- Conduct learning assessments to determine the most effective learning activities and course designs that align with organizational goals, strategies, and competencies
- Oversee and guide virtual learning activities, including webinars, e-learning courses, videos, animations, and e-games
- Strengthen the capacity of subject matter experts to conduct effective training sessions in face-to-face workshops or virtual learning platforms
- Collaborate strategically with team members on cross-functional training approaches to best serve the client’s needs
- Respond to on-demand requests that focus on curriculum development, the use of technology, or communications skills
- Foster culture of blended learning with client and team
- Mentor team members on blended learning techniques and approaches
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events
- Other duties, as assigned
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and eight or more years’ experience or Master’s degree and six or more years’ experience in instructional design
- Degree in Education, Curriculum Design, Organizational Development, Adult Learning, Instructional Design, International Development, or related field
Experience and Skills:
- Experience in designing and facilitating interactive learning experiences and designing curricula based on experiential learning, adult learning principles, and using blended learning and innovative learning technologies
- Experience in field of international development, working in cross-cultural environments
- Knowledge of the principles of learning including adult learning, learning styles theory, participatory methods, instructional design, whole systems design and related topics
- Understanding and demonstrated application of cognitive theory of multimedia or similar approaches preferred
- Knowledge of Appreciative Inquiry preferred
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and deliver quality, client focused results on time and within budget
- Ability to work in an environment committed to appreciative, strengths-based approaches and coach others in using these approaches
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable and work in a fast-paced environment as a team player
- Knowledge of USAID preferred
- Exceptional presentation, communication (verbal and written), facilitation and consensus-building skills
- Adept at identifying and framing problems, setting priorities, and making critical assessments
- Proven ability to bring about change and manage processes
- Committed to providing the highest level of service
- Able to confidently engage with staff at all levels to define needs and expectations, collaborate on projects, and communicate results
- Interested and passionate about democracy, human rights and governance
- Experience writing short technical reports
- Fluency in English required
How to Apply:
Please submit CV and cover letter at https://encompassworld.com/careers-and-consulting/.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
About the Organization
EnCompass is a women-owned business offering innovative and customized solutions for leadership, capacity strengthening, technical assistance, and monitoring and evaluation. We have experience in more than 70 countries and a team of more than 100 staff and 1,200 experts around the globe.
We partner with government and multilateral agencies, nonprofit organizations, and corporations around the world, offering thought leadership, rich diversity, and technical expertise in global health, inclusive development, education, human rights, and food security.