Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities is seeking a Senior Internal Communications Specialist to join the Communucations and Public Affairs team at the headquarters in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland.
Reporting to the Vice President (VP) of Communications and Public Affairs, the Senior Internal Communications Specialist will be responsible for developing and executing an internal communications strategy that supports employee engagement efforts through creative and dynamic communications programs. The role will work with the VP of Communications and Public Affairs, the VP of People & Culture, executive management and key staff across departments to advance internal communications efforts across a global organization.
- Develop and execute a robust, multi-channel internal communications plan that informs and engages employees in the context of organizational transformation, strategic shifts, and recent developments in the external environment.
- Collaborate and partner with executive leadership and senior management as well as Communications and People & Culture teams to keep employees informed of company strategy, key business updates, and announcements while collaboratively creating opportunities for engagement, feedback, and open communication across all levels of the organization.
- Lead the development of internal communications content, channels and tools to support employee communications campaigns, including communications toolkits for managers.
- Actively engage communications channels to reach a broad spectrum of staff representing a range of cultures, backgrounds and experiences, with special attention to engaging employees based outside of the United States as well as in domestic offices.
- Quickly develop a deep understanding of the organization and provide communications support to an ongoing transformation as the organization responds to the COVID-19 global health pandemic and integrates with PCI, a Global Communities Partner.
- Use data and analytics to measure and regularly report on the effectiveness of employee communications programs.
- Collaborate with IT team technology leads to support the adoption and advancement of engaging, user-friendly internal communication platforms, including digital tools such as SharePoint, Microsoft Teams and others.
- Work with Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, Learning and Knowledge Management experts to collaboratively strengthen processes and approaches for communicating key findings across the organization.
- Ensure alignment between external and internal messaging and coordinate with members of the Communications team to support organizational communications objectives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication with strong presentation skills.
- Ability to work with cross-cultural, diverse and geographically disparate teams.
- Ability to write compelling text about all aspects of organization’s work, including strong editing skills and ability to communicate key ideas in accessible and compelling style.
- English fluency required. Ability in additional languages a plus.
- Ability to travel as assigned, including to areas of instability.
- Ability to capture, analyze and use data to measure the effectiveness of communication initiatives.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision to complete projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to manage a broad portfolio of projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Accuracy, attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5-8 years relevant communications experience.
- Experience must include demonstrated success working across organizational levels or functional teams; contributing to the success of diverse, cross-cultural teams; and managing internal or external communications tools, channels, teams, platforms or products.
- Knowledge of international development and humanitarian assistance sectors preferred.
- Must have U.S. work authorization.
Global Communities is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. EOE/AA - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individual with Disabilities.