Position summary & job purpose:
Tetra Tech is seeking applications from qualified individuals for a Private Sector Engagement Expert for an anticipated USAID energy program project based in Papua New Guinea (PNG). This energy program will contribute to achieving the goal of electrifying 70% of PNG’s population by 2030. The PNG Electrification Partnership (PEP) will do this through strengthening of the regulator, improving financial and operational performance of the utility, introducing new off-grid electrification models, and increasing private investment in the energy sector. The Senior Legal and Regulatory Expert will assist and advise the Government of PNG and USAID on energy sector policies, laws and regulatory matters with an eye toward improving sector governance, removing barriers to private investment and optimal performance of the power sector, and in attracting private investment. This is a five-year fixed term appointment.
· Review and make recommendations on improving sector policies, laws, regulations, and procedures related to energy sector structure. Work may include analysis and comment on existing structures or design and implementation of new ones;
· Review and advise on improving tariff design and structures, licenses, fees, tax requirements, various business incentives, gap assessments of local laws and international best practices, project development processes, generation procurement, public-private partnership frameworks, and other legal structures that impact private-sector and foreign investment in the power sector;
· Analysis and revision of regulatory oversight processes and requirements or design and implementation of new ones, including review of form of regulation (rate of return regulation, performance-based regulation, hybrid regulatory models, etc.);
· Assist in the development of power sector legal and regulatory due diligence analyses;
· Assist in the design and delivery regulatory and policy reform activities;
· Provide legal advice for power sector reforms with a focus on strengthening the independence and effectiveness of regulatory bodies, updating energy market laws to facilitate private-sector and foreign investment in the power sector.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA) required:
· A minimum of five (5) years’ experience working on similar legal issues within the power sector;
· Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members;
· Demonstrated ability to draft original documents in support of the program goals;
· Strong oral/written communication skills and ability to communicate at multiple levels in the organization: and ability to coordinate activities with officials from host country government, US Government, NGO’s, and other agencies;
· Ability to build effective relationships with all clients, peers, and stakeholders;
· Demonstrated success managing and leading technical and administrative teams;
· English language proficiency
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format
Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. With more than 20,000 associates working together, Tetra Tech provides clear solutions to complex problems in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.