As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
For our operations in Zimbabwe/, we are looking for a/an
Senior legal expert – Criminal justice (m/f) – Support to the Rule of Law and Access to Justice for all
Field of activity
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organisation’s business area - GIZ International Services - is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services is shortlisted for an EU-funded project: „Support to the Rule of Law and Access to Justice for all” in Harare, Zimbabwe.
The overall objective of the project is to support the rule of law through justice sector reforms and to provide access to justice for all.
The purpose of the service contract is to provide Technical Assistance based principally on the provision of long-term and short-term expert to the targeted state justice institutions. The technical assistance will facilitate the implementation of justice sector reforms that will contribute to improved access to justice for women and other vulnerable groups through enhanced efficiency, transparency, integrity and accountability in the justice delivery systems. An initial analysis of existing strategic plans will be a key element in the design and implementation of the services and where individual targeted institutions have not finalised their plans the TA should support their formulation.
The targeted institutions are the Ministry of Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs (MoJLPA), the Legal Aid Directorate (LAD), the Zimbabwe Prisons and Correctional Services (ZPCS), the National Prosecution Authority (NPA) and the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP).
The approach to be adopted should be in line with the EU approach to capacity building and in line with the 2011 High level Meeting on Aid Effectiveness in Busan5, supporting government-owned transformational processes with clearly defined outcomes in terms of better service provision (in terms of access to justice for all) for the citizens of Zimbabwe.
The Senior Legal expert will support and report to the Team Leader and will in particular be responsible for providing technical assistance to the ZRP, ZPCS and NPA:
- Supporting the implementation of selected activities, including reviewing proposals and making recommendations, working with the NPA, ZPCS, ZRP.
- Support the Team Leader in drafting ToRs and identifying short term experts for the NPA, ZPCS, ZRP.
- Assist in the provision of expert advice on administrative, technical and policy reforms needed to enhance performance.
- Assist in capacity building for Prosecutors, police and prison officials.
- Assist in the reporting of progress and the project’s implementation including financial aspects.
Qualifications and skills
- Minimum Requirement: at least Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Law or a related field
- Excellent knowledge of the English language (C2 level)
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent Computer literacy
General professional experience
- Minimum Requirement: At least 10 year’s post-qualification experience at a senior level in managing or advising on donor-funded development programmes.
- Minimum Requirement: At least 10 year’s post-qualification experience working on capacity-building programmes in the justice and rule of law sector.
- Minimum Requirement: At least 5 year’s post-qualification experience working in ACP countries.
- Preferable: At least 3 year’s post-qualification experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Specific professional experience
- Minimum Requirement: At least 10 years’ post qualification experience in providing TA in reinforcement of justice delivery systems and criminal justice system in particular
- Preferable: experience in providing TA in reinforcement of justice delivery systems and criminal justice system in particular that adopt common law systems.
- Minimum requirement: Proven experience in programming in the areas of justice delivery, human rights/rule of law, access to justice, GBV etc; working with institutions such as Justice Ministries, Prosecution, Prisons, Legal Aid services and police
- Minimum requirement: Professional experience in capacity building in the justice sector, the development and execution of capacity building for prosecutors, Government lawyers, prison officials and police officers
- Preferable: experience in implementing a sector wide approach to supporting justice delivery systems.
- Preferable: knowledge and understanding of Rights Based Approach principles and EU backbone strategy in TA.
- Preferable: Experience working in a country undergoing a constitutional transition will be considered as an advantage.
Harare will be the operational basis for the project. Frequent travels and short-term-inputs will be required in selected areas of Zimbabwe.
The intended start date is 01/06/2018 and the period of implementation of the contract will be 42 months from this date.
Please note that we basically can only receive and process applications sent via our e-recruiting system. Should you not be able to do so, please contact the person named in the job advertisement. To enable us to assess your existing skills and qualifications as part of our internal selection procedure, please complete the questionnaire on your competences when you apply online. After submitting an application, please check your spam/junk folder regularly for incoming messages, as emails from our e-recruiting system are treated as spam by some providers.
GIZ would like to improve the share of disabled employees, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in Europeaid format in english
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 19.03.2018.
To apply, please make use of our online - application facility under: https://recruiting.giz.de/www/index.php?ac=jobad&id=36146