Job DescriptionSenior M&E Advisor,
Afghanistan Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Activity (AMELA)
The purpose of AMELA is to provide monitoring, evaluation, and learning support services/assistance to strengthen the implementation of USAID development programs in Afghanistan, and to build the technical M&E knowledge and skills of USAID/Afghanistan Mission staff and stakeholders. The services provided under AMELA will contribute to supporting USAID/Afghanistan as an effective development organization with strong learning and adaptive management processes.
**Please note: Only Afghan citizens are eligible for this position**
The Senior M&E Advisor, in conjunction with the Monitoring technical team, is responsible for managing project monitoring and verification (M&V) activities and management of training for local Afghan staff in data collection on outputs, outcomes, and in some cases impact of USAID-funded projects. Supervisory experience and familiarity with M&E methodologies will be considered additional assets. The position may require travel throughout Afghanistan, subject to security considerations.
- Manage M&V, additional monitoring project, and/or evaluation field data collection.
- Supervise AMELA M&E Specialists.
- Manage data management processes with AMELA data management team.
- Manage training of AMELA M&E Specialists, including cross-training on M&V and evaluation techniques/protocols.
- Assist M&E Senior Management and AMELA M&E technical staff in the development of a USAID portfolio-wide M&V plan, including the specific parameters of site visits, asset verification, and data collection for selected USAID projects and associated geographic sites.
- Supervise implementation of the M&V plan through overseeing and/or participating in site visits/site visit validations to capture and analyze data in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assist M&E Team Senior Management with M&E tool development (surveys, reports, evaluations, etc.).
- Manage QA/QC of data collected on site visits for selected USAID projects.
- Assist in development of data management processes with AMELA data management team.
- As requested by USAID, manage assessments and studies of project impact.
- Supervise implementation of baseline surveys before projects begin, followed by periodic surveys to track progress.
- Supervise collection of public opinion information on views and impact of work performed through the projects.
- Manage training of local staff on M&V work at project sites.
- Analyze site visits data and write TPM reports.
- Provide feedback to USAID managers on project shortcomings and recommendations for improving project implementation and impact.
- Work with USAID officials to improve M&V systems where site visits find deficiencies; and
- Other duties as specified by project management.
- A Master’s degree with five (5) years relevant working experience or a bachelor’s degree with seven (7) years relevant experience.
- Substantive experience in managing the M&V needs and activities associated with development projects in complex environments, ideally including Afghanistan.
- Willingness and ability to visit project sites in the insecure operating environments throughout Afghanistan.
- Knowledge of USAID performance monitoring guidelines and rules (ADS 203).
- Excellent English writing skills and speaking ability, and ideally working knowledge of local languages.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.