QED is seeking a Senior Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist to serve on the Jordan Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Activity (USAID MELA). USAID MELA will contribute to 1) ensuring that USAID’s development programs in Jordan achieve their intended results through an efficient and effective mechanism; and 2) building the institutional capacity of local MEL firms to assuming increasing management responsibility of MEL awards. The project will also provide support services for designing and conducting evaluations, monitoring performance, and applying learning and adaptive management, while ensuring sustainability through building the capacity of USAID and Implementing Partner (IP) staff as well as local stakeholders.
The Senior MEL Specialist is responsible for planning and implementing activities set out in the work plan. This person must assist and coordinate with the Chief of Party to incorporate all activities in one coherent work plan for the project. This person must demonstrate professional excellence in their technical areas of expertise, excellent writing ability, fluency in English, effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to resolve work issues with senior country counterparts, donor representatives, and senior-level staff. They must have experience in relevant technical, management, administrative, and capacity building experience in developing countries.
The individual will oversee, recruit for, and participate in evaluations and assessments throughout the life of the contract. The Senior MEL Specialist may also serve as the evaluation team leader of select evaluations conducted under this contract to be identified.
- The Senior M&E Specialist will design and implement performance and impact evaluations, cross‐sector evaluations, whole‐of‐project evaluations for activities across USAID/Jordan’s portfolio
- S/he will be responsible for the design, quality, development and completion of all assessments, analytical reports and evaluations.
- S/he will oversee monitoring and evaluation, analyses, and assessments throughout the life of the project, including the data quality assessments, participatory data collection methods and protocols, and data quality verification techniques.
- S/he will also be responsible for the design, quality development and production of all data quality assessment reports, assist in the production of evaluations reports and any assessments, population based surveys and studies including the testing of the development hypotheses.
- S/he will be responsible for design of the evaluation methodology and participatory data collection methods and protocols for both performance and impact evaluations.
- S/he will also support the maintenance of the Mission’s PMP and the development and maintenance of implementing partners’ M&E Plans.
- Other responsibilities include assisting the Chief of Party with outreach and engagement with the private sector, universities, NGOs, the Government of Jordan and other donors, as required.
- An advanced university degree in international relations, economics, statistics, political science, public policy, or other relevant field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of progressive responsibility working in MEL positions for USAID or other donor-funded development programs.
- Experience in the following is highly desirable:
- Preparing and delivering training and training materials;
- Indicator development, data collection and analysis, data quality assessments, and/or performance monitoring and reporting;
- Creating and managing performance monitoring plans;
- Designing performance and impact evaluations of development interventions;
- Designing and field testing surveys and other data collection instruments;
- Familiarity with USAID policies relating to evaluation and performance management.
- Using online M&E databases to collect performance indicators.
- Conducting participatory or impact evaluations.
- Experience writing findings and recommendations in assessment or evaluation reports.
- Strong organizational, writing, and communications skills.
- Strong proficiency in MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point).
- Ability to coordinate well with personnel within and outside the project, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision.
- Computer literacy, with ability to analyze and interpret data using Excel, online reporting tools, or statistical packages such as SAS, SPSS, or STATA.
- Success factors for the Senior M&E Specialists will be strong skills in strategic analysis, M&E, data collection and analysis, identifying trends in data, and the ability to write convincing findings and recommendations.
- Experience working in Jordan or Middle East
- Must be fluent in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
About the Organization
The QED Group, LLC, is a full-service international consulting firm committed to solving complex global challenges through innovative solutions. We are determined to provide all our clients with best-value services so they increase their efficiency, learning capacity, and accountability to the public in an ever more complex and interconnected world. Through Monitoring and Evaluation and Knowledge Management practice areas, QED is working to maximize our clients' return on investment through accountability, continuous learning, and sound management.