IntraHealth is seeking a Senior Malaria Specialist for a technical leadership role on the USAID Ingoybi Activity. The Ingoybi Activity will support the Rwandan Ministry of Health (MOH) to contribute to the reduction of infant and maternal mortality and incidence of malaria in Rwanda, focusing on improving the availability, quality and utilization of RMNCH and malaria services and improving the health of women, adolescents, and children under five. The Senior Malaria Specialist will support the implementation of malaria prevention, diagnosis and treatment interventions by providing capacity building and supportive supervision to health facility personnel within the targeted zones of the Activity. S/he will plan and coordinate project activities in close collaboration with MOH district management teams, partners and health facilities. S/he will work in concert with the DCOP and zonal technical teams to ensure optimal integration of malaria services, into MNCH and family planning interventions, with a focus on improved community case management and referrals, as needed. In collaboration with the technical team, s/he will liaise with zonal coordinators, districts and health facilities to improve the accessibility and quality of services offered by providers and community health workers to ensure a client-centered approach along the continuum of care.
- Provides technical leadership to ensure integration of malaria interventions in both the demand and supply side activities of the project.
- Provides technical leadership in design, development, planning, implementation, and capacity-building of specific malaria technical components of programs.
- Provides timely and adequate technical support to the districts to strengthen service delivery and improve malaria prevention, diagnosis, and treatment interventions including tools to guide service quality and integration with other service delivery components of the project.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of innovative capacity building approaches including on the job training and mentorship to build the competencies, attitudes and motivation to optimize the performance of front line health workers (nurses, clinicians and community health workers) for quality malaria service delivery and data use to improve service access and quality.
- Responsible for planning and scheduling own work flow and timetables, within malaria technical area.
- Maintain a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with other technical counterparts to effectively support health workers for appropriate integration of malaria prevention, diagnosis, and treatment with other services at all levels of care.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with donors, districts level officials/DHMTs, implementing partners, relevant ministries and agencies, public and private sector entities and is consistently maintained and viewed as a knowledgeable resource in malaria area.
- Ensures that project implementation of the malaria strategy adheres to the appropriate national, global strategy and remains technically sound.
- Provides technical assistance to the development or adaptation of evidence-based tools to support integration of quality malaria services.
- In collaboration with the M&E team, reviews, analyzes, and evaluates the effectiveness of malaria interventions and uses data to lead the design of improvements that will ensure the quality of implemented technical activities and systems at all levels.
- Represents the Ingoybi Activity to external entities at related professional and technical meetings and conferences.
- Participates and provides logistical support in the planning and implementation of assessments, operations research, and knowledge management activities.
- Degree in Nursing or Diploma in Clinical Medicine or a degree in public health, social sciences
- Minimum 8 years’ experience implementing maternal and child health programs including malaria
- Experience in training and mentorship of health care workers on RMNCH program areas with a focus on malaria
- Previous work with development agencies, NGOs. Experience working with USAID-funded activities is preferred.
- Proficiency in Kinyarwanda and English. French will be an advantage.
- Strong writing and organizational skills for writing case studies, documenting lessons learnt and reporting on program results.
- Previous experience in organizing and providing training and capacity building to staffs and partners.
Working Conditions/Physical Effort
- Employees must have clean and appropriate attire/dress
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Position is mainly in the office and on field assignments
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs occasionally or as needed
- Position requires resident work in Rwanda.
About the Organization
Why join IntraHealth?
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work.
Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective.
Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1