The Senior Business Development Manager is a senior member of the company’s new business development team, charged with developing or working on strategic companywide BD objectives, including strategic alliances, new partnerships, and business process improvements. The incumbent supports the identification of annual targets of opportunity, helps develop the multi-year business pipeline and win strategy, and works across the company to focus resources on priority bids.
The Senior Business Development Manager leads and delivers winning proposals for the company. S/he is experienced in developing proposals for USAID and other clients and has a good grasp of the requirements and needs for contract or cooperative agreement mechanisms. He/she establishes and ensures adherence to all proposal policies, procedures, and timelines to develop a submission that is technically and financially sound, responsive, compliant, and of the highest quality. The Senior Business Development Manager is also involved in preparatory efforts for bid pursuits, including guiding or monitoring long-term positioning and capture efforts, developing relationships with partners and new clients, and tracking procurement opportunities. The Senior Business Development Manager provides input into Creative’s knowledge management and capture of best practices and lessons learned for future business development.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Senior Business Development Manager reports to and is supervised by the Director of Proposal Development.
- Spearheads and contributes to major business process improvement; champions BD strategy and policies across the company;
- Supervises, mentors, and coaches Proposal Development Department staff;
- Develops and provides training to staff companywide to enhance new business development capacity;
- Keeps abreast of major trends in the marketplace, attending workshops and conferences to ensure relevance of company’s bidding strategy.
- Works with senior leadership of the Business Development Division on companywide target setting, business planning, bidding strategies, and analysis of bid performance;
- Provides input to companywide new business development strategic priorities, informed by market trend analysis;
- Leads development of high interest target bids, including the following tasks:
- Leads formation of proposal team (in concert with the technical division), and development of all preparatory materials for successful kick-off (e.g., solicitation analysis, calendar);
- Develops, in collaboration with the Technical Lead, technical and cost volume outlines, writing assignments, compliance matrices, and layout/style protocols;
- Facilitates/leads design sessions that result in responsive program designs;
- Formalizes agreements with partners;
- Leads the Proposal Color Team reviews and directs follow-up revisions;
- Ensures overall proposal quality, responsiveness, and compliance with the solicitation; and
- Oversees preparation of the proposal for delivery and submits proposal to client.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in the international development field. Experience in international education, economic growth, or civil society and governance, and political transitions /stabilization, a plus;
- Minimum four (4) years of USAID proposal development experience.
- BA in international relations, international development, or a related field, or equivalent specialized experience of 7 years;
- Demonstrated skills in building teams and consensus; and in meeting facilitation;
- Experience in program design approaches and methodologies, such as results frameworks, theories of change, logic modeling, and/or logical frameworks;
- Experience in writing, reviewing, and analyzing technical proposals and in critiquing budgets;
- Excellent technical skills in writing, editing, formatting, research, negotiation, and verbal communications;
- Strong knowledge of the competitive market within Creative’s technical areas;
- Competent in using MS software, including Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and SharePoint; and
- Commitment to international development; and to a High Performance Organization and values-driven work environment.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Second language, such as French, Spanish, or Arabic;
- Experience with other USG agencies and donors; and
- Demonstrated expertise within one or more of Creative’s technical areas, including field-based experience, is desirable.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.