The Senior Business Development Manager, Livelihoods and Economic Development (LED) will join a vibrant team and growing organization to contribute to increasing our impact, growth, revenues and global footprint in Livelihoods, Economic Development, Climate/Environmental work and Agriculture. The Senior Business Development Manager will contribute their experience and expertise with these technical areas to support the LED programs and country teams in organizational growth and impact goals.
This role will lead on key Positioning and Capture activities by serving as Capture Manager to competitively position the organization for funding opportunities with institutional donors (USAID, USDA, EU, DFID). The individual will lead collaborative Technical Design and Proposal Development by leading the development of competitive proposals to institutional donors to increase the scale and impact of the organization’s portfolio. Lead strategy designs, partnering and the end-to-end business development process for key LED opportunities. They will contribute to Organizational Knowledge Management and Learning via development of organizational business development knowledge management best practices, strategy, policies, procedures, and manuals. Build the capacity of the organization to build business development capacities.
The position can be based in Washington, D.C. or Baltimore. Should the position be based in D.C. it will be expected to travel to our Baltimore location 2-3 days per week for the first 6 months.
Positioning and Capture
- Serve as Capture Manager to position the organization for key opportunities for institutional donors (USAID, USDA, DFID, etc).
- Provide business development expertise on Livelihoods and Economic Development to country and program teams. Contribute to the organization’s strategic approach for key LED funding opportunities.
- Lead the development of capture strategies for specific opportunities, including analyzing competition, scoping potential consortium roles and members, negotiating the organization’s scope when subbing, articulating the organization’s value-add, developing capacity statements, and coordinating additional research to maximize the organization’s position in anticipation of a solicitation.
- Provide support to program and country staff on community needs and/or market assessments. Provide support to country teams to identify and target appropriate program participants
- Expertly speak on behalf of the organization’s global portfolio to institutional donors, foundation and private sector representatives and international government officials.
- Develop and lead scoping trips abroad to identify new funding opportunities and potential strategic partnerships, including participating strategic meetings with donors, peers, and coordination groups.
- Build organizational understanding of new donors and contribute information for prioritization of emerging donors through research and external interviews
- Contribute to the development of business development tools for capture planning
Technical Design and Proposal Development
- Serve as Proposal Manager for key LED institutional funding opportunities (USAID, USDA, DFID, etc).
- Collaborate to develop guidance and tools to support the regional and country offices to propose high quality program activities.
- Build capacity of country and regional staff on technical programmatic and program design through trainings and targeted coaching and technical support.
- Coordinate the development of teaming agreements, memoranda of understanding, and other institutional agreements with partners.
- Manage the entire proposal development process and team
Organizational Knowledge Management and Learning
- Based on evaluations and learning, support the organization in updating programmatic frameworks, standards and guidance to ensure proposed program activities are in line with institutional donor requirements
- Model use of organizational best practices for Client Relationship Management (CRM) in Salesforce.
- Lead development of technical materials including capacity statements. Oversee management of library of capacity statements and lead diffusion of best practices related to development of capacity statements.
- Plan, coordinate and facilitate training sessions for staff at headquarters and oversees to build business acquisition capacities in English and Spanish/French/Arabic.
- Recommend to the BD Director policy changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness of business acquisition and proposal development processes.
- 8-10 years of specialized experience in Livelihoods or Economic Development in the field of International Development
- Master’s degree in Agriculture, Economic Development, International Development, or a related field
- Experience designing an array of programming in the Agriculture/ Livelihoods/Economic Development/Climate
- Experience managing complex proposals of $15 million and above to prioritized donors (USAID, US Department of State and major foundations). Proposal writing experience a plus
- Excellent communicator’verbal and written with the ability to respond to a diverse array of work styles and motivate team members without direct line management authority. Ability to work in a shifting environment and within a matrixed organization.
- Strong facilitation skills with experience facilitating trainings and workshops in a variety of cultural settings and for participants who do not speak English as a first language
- Ability to successfully convene numerous stakeholders, both internally and externally towards a common goal
- Proactive and flexible work style
- Capable of identifying and responding to shifting priorities with the ability to balance many concurrent projects and priorities,
- Willingness to work outside of normally operating hours, including early mornings, nights and weekends as necessary
- Willingness to work in fragile states and hostile environments such as conflict zones and in the immediate aftermath of natural disasters where security is a concern
- Ability to travel overseas up to 30 percent of the time
- Fluency in French, Spanish or Arabic is required
About the Organization
We are a family of organizations who believes that those who were born into impossible circumstances deserve the possibility of a better life.
Our dedicated experts around the globe work together to bring life-saving aid and long-term hope to even the most fragile corners of the world and in the most challenging of circumstances. We connect disciplines, approaches and people because we know that the more collaboration we can efficiently achieve, the wider, more systemic impact we can create.
It’s belief and action, in harmony.