The Senior Manager/Manager of Communications will build and manage the VillageReach brand and maximize awareness and understanding of VillageReach’s work and impact. We are seeking a strategist, a dynamic writer, and a doer – someone who can both develop and implement a communications strategy. We are looking for a candidate with demonstrated use of available tools for promotion and the ability to creatively develop innovative channels and partnerships. Based in Seattle, this position will work across global teams and report to the Director, Advocacy and Communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
- Develop, implement, and monitor a comprehensive communications strategy to identify and prioritize communications objectives, audiences, messages and activities in support of organizational objectives.
- Employ and manage a full range of tactics, technologies, tools, and channels to increase VillageReach profile as a thought leader across a targeted set of global stakeholders.
- Liaise with external partners and establish external networks to ensure support in driving VillageReach messaging and advocacy.
- Provide strategic advice and build skills of president and other management on effective communication to key audiences including media and donors.
- Develop strategic communications materials, content and brand assets.
- Lead cross-organizational communications activities and processes, liaising with country offices.
- Manage VillageReach brand across all channels and outputs and lead brand strategy updates.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of VillageReach organizational communications products, activities.
- Develop and manage relationships with vendors including agencies, copy editors, graphic designers, translation services, etc.
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- For senior manager, 10 or more years of experience in strategic communications or marketing, of which at least 5 years working in a senior communications position in global health or development
- For manager, at least 7 years’ experience in strategic communications or marketing, of which at least 3 years working in global health or development.
- Experience in analyzing trends in global communications and appropriately adapting strategies to maximize these.
- Proven ability to implement communications strategies in support of reaching advocacy goals, policy change and reaching programmatic objectives.
- Hands-on experience in working with traditional and social media including the use of analytics to measure results.
- Experience interacting with senior executives and Board of Directors.
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills in English; French or Portuguese a plus.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities at this time.
Education & Experience:
Environment and Physical Demands
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, international development, public policy or related field.
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until hired. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter [plus any other desired materials] to our online portal: https://villagereach.workable.com/j/65E3423B77
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
About the Organization
VillageReach is an NGO that develops solutions to critical health system challenges in low-resource environments, with an emphasis on strengthening the “last mile” of healthcare delivery. VillageReach combines expertise across public health, technology, and business to bring life-saving innovation – new systems, programs and technologies – to scale and sustainability in the world’s most underserved communities. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi and Mozambique.