At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2016, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached 80 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE USA has taken on an ambitious transformational agenda, and we need great talent to support us! The Sr Manager of Special Projects will work closely with the Chief of Staff to accelerate organizational priorities and ensure the effectiveness of the CEO and Office of the President. This position will facilitate and enable forward movement of the CARE USA strategy through problem-framing and problem-solving, strong workplanning with an eye toward execution, and the ability to facilitate and coordinate inputs of of key thought leaders on our senior team. Key areas of focus could include analysis in support of key strategic questions (e.g., building a pipeline and business case for potential joint venture or formalized partnership with non-CARE entities) that are decision-ready for the Global Management Team or Board; convening leadership, articulating vision, and developing CEO briefings on issues facing the CARE International confederation; executing against key CEO priorities (e.g., following up with internal and external stakeholders on partnership opportunities) and creating compelling communications to ensure the organization understands and can fully live out our strategy.
Creative problem-solving and problem structuring, analytic and strategic acumen, ability to communicate complex ideas in simple ways, strong workplanning, facilitation and project management skills, comfort with ambiguity, relationship-building and influencing skills, executive presence, and a bias toward action are important for success in this role. The ability to envision opportunity while staying focused on the people we serve is also desired.
- Special project sprints and analysis – In partnership with the Chief of Staff, convenes and facilitates “sprint” teams on priority issues that can be challenging due to ambiguity, complexity of the problem, and cross-functional nature. Coordinates participation of thought leaders and stakeholders across the organization; synthesizes and clearly articulates key insights. Uses excel for quantitative analyses that help us stay grounded in data to get the right answer. Develops Executive- and Board-level analysis and recommendations for decision.
- Governance – Prepares analysis and CEO communications for the board and international confederation, including rigorous, clear, and insightful presentations, memos, and communications that enable evidence-based decision making at top-level. Coordinates problem-solving agenda around key strategic questions related to the confederation.
- Formalized partnerships - works with the Chief of Staff and members of the executive team to proactively build partnership, joint venture, and acquisition pipelines and opportunistically explore and evaluate partnership opportunities that arise.
- Office of the President (OOP) and CEO effectiveness – works side-by-side with the Chief of Staff to respond to CEO priorities as they arise. Supports Chief of Staff in leading OOP planning, team retreats, and stands in for the Chief of Staff when absent for Global Management Team meetings and weekly team huddles.
- 3-4 years in top-tier management consulting OR 7 years experience in strategic partnerships, joint venture, or M&A, OR a Masters degree (MBA, MPP, MPA, or MA in International Development or equivalent) and at least 7 years experience, OR equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Fluency in 2 or more CARE languages (English, French, Spanish, Arabic) a plus
- Experience working internationally and knowledge of key issues in the international development sector.
- Comfort with ThinkCell a plus
- Comfort with Microsoft Office Suite, and specifically conducting analysis in Excel (e.g., formulas and pivot tables)
- Storylining for executive presentations and advanced written communications
- Planning and budgeting;
- Workplanning and project management;
- Executive presence and presentation skills
About the Organization
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.
CARE USA is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.