Senior Manager, Partners’ Engagement Framework
Purpose of the position:
Support the Partners’ Engagement Framework (PEF) team.
Policy & Performance
Strategy & Performance
Head of Partners’ Engagement Framework
N° of positions supervised:
Career step level:
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children’s lives and protecting people’s health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together developing country and donor governments, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of nearly 700 million children and the prevention of more than 10 million future deaths.
The Partners’ Engagement Framework (PEF) is one of the three modalities through which Gavi support countries (along with vaccines and Health Systems Strengthening Support). Through this process, Gavi partners (including WHO, UNICEF, World Bank, CDC and 50+ other institutions) receive funding from Gavi ($1Billion over the 2016-2020 strategy period) for their roles in providing technical assistance to countries and to define the global norms and standards in the field of immunisation.
The PEF process, which was redesigned comprehensively for the period 2016-2020 includes a strong country-centric approach as well as an increased focus on transparency and accountability. It also leverages the contribution from a large number of ‘expanded partners’ (more than 50) and the constitution of tailored technical assistance plans for each of the 65 countries supported by Gavi through this process.
To this effect, Senior Country Managers build and manage relationships with a wide range of representatives from governments, United Nations and donor agencies, and NGOs. Chief among these are Gavi’s Alliance partners, which include the World Health Organisation, UNICEF, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the World Bank. Senior Country Managers are also supported in their work by colleagues from various teams within the Gavi Secretariat.
KEY FUNCTIONS AND DELIVERABLES
- Effective technical assistance provided to national immunisation programmes in Gavi-eligible countries through the engagement of all relevant partner organisations (including UN agencies, NGOs and local institutions);
- Support the full participation of Ministries of Health (MOH) and country partners in the planning monitoring and implementation of their technical assistance needs to improve immunisation coverage and equity;
- Quality, timely analysis and recommendations in relation to the PEF funding mechanisms, targeted country assistance strategic focus areas and foundational support of PEF portfolio;
- Implementation of a strong outcome-based accountability mechanism by which funded partners report back on their progress in supporting countries implementing immunisation programmes represents good value for money.
Effective technical assistance provided to national immunisation programmes in Gavi-eligible countries through the engagement of all relevant partner organisations (including UN agencies, NGOs and local institutions)
- Familiarisation of the technical assistance requirements of the National Expanded Program of Immunization and Health System Strengthening of the Ministry of Health;
- Liaise with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure identification of relevant partner for the provision of technical assistance; respond to queries and foster productive collaboration;
- Rally partner support to deliver technical assistance, oversight and risk management;
- Enactment of a strong process to reach out to and engage with a broad base of institutions beyond Gavi core partners, including country-based NGOs, universities and development institutions;
Support the full participation of MOH and country partners in the planning monitoring and implementation of their technical assistance needs to improve immunisation coverage and equity;
- Support the development of guidance and strategies to optimise the effectiveness and efficiency of programmes and operations of Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance;
- Ensure that the core processes associated to PEF provide the opportunities for countries to:
- Identify their immunisation bottlenecks and express their needs for technical assistance;
- Review the sets of potential partners who could provide support in these areas;
- Engage country-level partners on their role and responsibilities in providing the technical assistance;
- Provide feedback on the effectiveness and relevance of the assistance received from partners.
Strong relationships and productive collaboration with country stakeholders and partners, and good understanding by them of Gavi policies, initiatives, decisions, etc.;
- Support the maintenance of a clear relationship map between the programmatic and country focal points at Gavi and the partners engaged through the PEF;
- Ensure that all contractual agreements between Gavi and partners are in place and adhere to a minimum standard of quality (e.g. including the relevant accountability piece, an approach to sustainability, etc.).
Quality, timely analysis and recommendations in relation to the PEF funding mechanisms, targeted country assistance strategic focus areas and foundational support of PEF portfolio;
- Review technical assistance reporting components of progress report or Joint or Internal Appraisals and recommends improvements;
- Review and analysis of partners financial proposals to ensure value for money;
- Review and analysis of partners reports and plans;
- Review and analysis of targeted country assistance, strategic focus areas and foundational support financial records.
Implementation of a strong outcome-based accountability mechanism by which funded partners report back on their progress in supporting countries implementing immunisation programmes represents good value for money;
Ensure a strong accountability framework for partners engaged through the PEF, including:
- Definition of semi-annual milestones with clear links and outcomes for all partners providing technical assistance at country level;
- Proactive identification, reporting and resolution/mitigation of issues and risks related to management and use of Gavi investments.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.
- Advanced degree in business administration, public health, public policy, economics or international development.
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience with a significant share in the field of global development;
- Experience of working in developing countries is highly desirable;
- Strong experience in the field of technical assistance and understanding of the landscape of partners providing assistance in global health;
- Experience in working with UN agencies, financing institution or with donors an advantage
- Significant grant, project, procurement, financial and/or programme-management experience required, including in situations of considerable complexity and political sensitivity.
- Structured strategic thinking;
- Exceptional people skills (including relationship development at senior levels);
- Project management skills;
- Strong and mature leadership profile;
- Strong writing and communication skills;
- Comfort with ambiguity and complexity;
- Ability to influence outside of formal hierarchical structures;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish working relationships with multiple teams.
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- Fluent in written and spoken in French.
- Management of Gavi Alliance partners;
- Gavi Secretariat.
The post will involve a significant amount of travel up to 40%.
Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
If you wish to apply, please provide a cover letter and resume through our Careers webpage and apply by clicking on “Senior Manager, Partners’ Engagement Framework”.
Become part of our community and join us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork.