Each year the UN Global Compact hosts a series of flagship events that build on our unique principles-based approach, anchored in United Nations conventions and resolutions, to elevate our brand and raise the sustainability platform, showcase core programmatic work and unveil the latest intelligence in corporate sustainability. These event offerings are designed to connect leaders, promote best practices and create partnership models for lasting change. The UN Global Compact is seeking a Senior Manager of Strategic Events to bring these values to life on the world stage.
The Senior Manager will lead the daily operations of the Strategic Events Unit and is responsible for oversight on all elements of event planning, production and evaluation. She/he will work closely with staff responsible for content development, participant engagement, sponsor relations, communications and media and must have exceptionally strong team and collaboration skills, as well as the ability to manage resources and budgets effectively and creatively.
The Senior Manager will report directly to the Chief of Staff and the Executive Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Oversight of Event Programming & Production
- Keep an active pulse on market drivers and event trends to develop a strategic approach that streamlines and leverages UN Global Compact events while maximizing their impact
- Develop Key Performance Indicators for each flagship event and oversee the project plan and implementation strategies to achieve all stated goals
- Work closely with communications, media & marketing colleagues to develop materials that clearly articulate the event narrative and effectively promote events to target audiences and prospective sponsors
- Engage with business and industry leaders to showcase latest innovations, policies, and public-private partnerships
- Manage and strengthen relationships with key UN, Local Network, Civil Society and Private Sector partners
- Source venues and oversee purchasing and service needs, including catering, audiovisual, security and rental needs
- Negotiate agreements with outside providers and subcontractors to ensure lowest cost and highest quality of service
- Conduct post-event debriefing sessions with relevant colleagues and provide post-event analysis, budget recaps and participant feedback to ensure evaluative feedback is incorporated into future plans
Organizational Management & Knowledge Sharing
- Direct the day-to- day operations of the strategic events team; establish task assignments & project plans and delegate appropriately
- Maintain standards and internal processes to ensure that all meetings/events are efficient, effective and accurately project the UN Global Compact brand
- Ensure office staff is adequately prepared for flagship events by conducting staff briefings and venue walkthroughs
- Manage a calendar of events and implement a system that enables and anticipates long-term planning and effective event management for the organization’s meetings, conferences and events
- Determine fiscal requirements for the calendar year and prepare budgets accordingly
- Integrity: Demonstrates the values of the United Nations in daily activities and behaviours; acts without consideration of personal gain; resists undue political pressure in decision-making; does not abuse power or authority; stands by decisions that are in the Organization’s interest, even if they are unpopular; and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Respect for Diversity: Works effectively with people from all backgrounds; treats all people with dignity and respect; treats men and women equally; shows respect for and understanding of diverse points of view and demonstrates this understanding in daily work and decision-making; examines own biases and behaviours to avoid stereotypical responses; and does not discriminate against any individual or group.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of relevant UN Global Compact issue areas and workstreams; shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; and takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, social sciences, hospitality, management and/or law or a related field.
- 10 years experience in International Organizations, Non-profit, Program Administration, Project Management, Association/Membership Organizations and/or Event Management.
- Strong strategic, leadership, problem-solving and project management skills.
- Excellent organizational, planning, analytical, written and verbal skills.
- Strict attention to detail; works well under pressure while meeting tight deadlines and has effective time management skills.
- Experience in interacting with United Nations, Board of Directors/executives, and external stakeholders.
- Experience with domestic and international travel and logistics coordination.
- Proven ability to deliver presentations to senior leadership and high-level partners.
- Highly service-oriented and a flexible team player.
- Competitive Salary
- Retirement Plan – 15% employer contribution after 6 months of services with additional 7.5% matching option.
- Vacation Days - 30 paid days (6 weeks) per year.
- Maternity leave - 16 weeks with full pay.
- Paternity leave - 4 weeks with full pay.
- Medical /dental/vision employee coverage
- Please include the following materials in your e-mail submission to EventsJob @unglobalcompact.org with the subject heading “Senior Manager - Strategic Events”.
- Applications will be accepted until 13 July 2018. Please note applicant must be eligible to work in the United States.
About the Organization
The UN Global Compact is the largest corporate sustainability initiative in the world. With over 12,000 participants in more than 100 countries, the UN Global Compact has an unparalleled global reach and the exclusive opportunity to activate a diverse network of business, investors, Government, UN and civil society stakeholders to create the world we want.