VillageReach seeks a supply chain expert with extensive experience in multiple sub-Saharan Africa countries to serve as a Senior Manager and Technical Expert across VillageReach’s supply chain portfolio. The Senior Manager- Supply Chain, will serve as a senior advisor to VillageReach’s Supply Chain Community of Practice and lead a variety of VillageReach’s programs with a supply chain focus, working with VillageReach staff in multiple country offices, as well as with global, regional and country partners and donors. Preference will be given to applicants who live and are qualified to work in one of the following locations: Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa, or Tanzania. This position reports to the Director, Supply Chain within the Global Technical Team.
We are seeking an individual who will both oversee and produce program deliverables. Major areas of work: Program Technical support (45%), Organizational Development support (20%), Supervision (20%), Advocacy and Communications (15%).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to the following;
· Provide technical expertise as an advisor to VillageReach programs with a focus on supply chain assessment, solution design and deployment particularly in the areas of transportation & warehousing logistics, inventory planning & management and supply chain performance management;
· Lead strategic and tactical analysis of program and work closely with leadership to identify, develop, and pursue new supply chain program opportunities for VillageReach;
· Identify and support private sector players particularly in logistics and mobile communications whose involvement could increase the sustainability of VillageReach programs;
· Support government to oversee, manage and monitor supply chain programs and to outsource to private sector partners using VillageReach’s Transition to Government framework;
· Develop and/or contribute to policy papers, presentations, whitepapers, grant proposals, strategy documents, and other written deliverables;
· Support the digital solutions team in developing and adapting supply chain digital solutions to support the transition from paper-based to digital data and tools and reduce the data-entry burden on frontline health workers.
· Cultivate VillageReach’s relationships with external organizations to influence their approach to logistics and health systems strengthening, as well as to build new engagements for VillageReach;
· Contribute to the ongoing refinement and dissemination of VillageReach’s work including cultivating a sophisticated understanding of the key stakeholders in the countries VillageReach operates in and staying up to date about significant initiatives in the space;
· Mentor and manage less experienced employees with the goal of developing their skills, experience, and ability to contribute to VillageReach supply chain work;
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
· Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
· Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed
· Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach
· Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach
· Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position may directly supervise up to 5 employees. Supervisory responsibilities will be carried out in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; monitoring performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education & Experience:
· A graduate degree in supply chain management, public health, international development, business, or related field.
· A minimum of 10 years of experience working in global health or international development. Experience in public health supply chains required.
· Must be qualified to work in one of the following locations: Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa, Liberia or Tanzania.
· Expertise in last mile health infrastructure challenges (e.g. of rural communities in an African context).
· Knowledge of various global and national actors and systems used to finance, procure, and deliver vaccines, essential medicines, diagnostics, and other health commodities.
· Experience working at or with multilateral organizations such as Gavi, WHO, UNICEF, World Bank as well as bilateral aid organizations.
· Strong communication and cross-cultural management skills with experience working with high-level political officials. Open mindedness to accommodate the non-traditional mix of disciplines within VillageReach and interpersonal skills to work effectively in partnership with others in the organization and externally.
· Superb writing skills and the ability to assemble, distill, and analyze information for decision-making and presentations.
· Ability to collect and analyze data quickly and efficiently. Ability and confidence to identify and recommend creative solutions to a diverse group of stakeholders. Identifies both opportunities and needs for change. Ability to identify issues or problems and provide a respective solution that is feasible and acceptable to the local context. Explores and shares innovative best practices with others.
· Energy, intelligence, diplomacy, sound practical judgment and the ability to work independently without supervision.
· Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
· Passion for the mission of VillageReach, including strong commitment to global health, and a belief in the role of private sector solutions to public health systems.
· Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, underserved and low-income context; experience living in and/or working in a low-income country a plus.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
· Portuguese and/or French language skills an added advantage.
· Ability to travel internationally, up to 50% of the time.
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Due to the time zone differences between our Seattle office and our Country Offices and location of other global staff, US based staff are expected to be available for early morning meetings starting at 6am. In addition, our global HQ and Country office staff are expected to be available for late afternoon/evening meetings up to 6pm.
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until October 31, 2020. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter [plus any other desired materials] to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
VillageReach has an established compensation structure that is based on the relevant market and internally transparent. We hire people into the established range based on one’s experience and education and considering internal equity. We do not inquire about salary history.