The position provides strategic direction and management to the program- determining the overall direction and delivery on set market outputs through the core programme market team.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Senior Market Manager will have the overall responsibility of providing strategic guidance and management for the programme market groups by managing all the programme interventions and overseeing both the strategic and administrative elements of the interventions. S/he will also be required to establish and manage relationships with potential partners and stakeholders. The Senior Market Manager will be a key member of the technical advisory team and liaise with the Team Leader to identify and design potential interventions for the programme and develop strategies for implementing these interventions.
S/he will be responsible for ensuring strong linkages between the programme interventions and the Results Measurement team of the programme.
This position is based in Kampala, but requires frequent travel to Gulu and other parts of Northern Uganda.
The NU-TEC staff work as an integrated team. The Senior Market Manager will be expected to contribute to other aspects of the programme.
The Senior Market Manager will be responsible for the following:-
Strategic Guidance to Market Teams:
* Provide overall strategic direction and follow through for all interventions within the sector, monitoring and quality assuring all intervention guides and resulting outputs.
* Support Market Managers and Technical Team to identify new markets or market actors with the aim of contributing to the overall programme strategy; be part of the programme Senior Management Team on potential markets and design effective implementation strategies for approved market interventions ensuring that they meet all donor and programme requirements.
* Ensure strategic partnerships are established and design mechanisms for effective management of all established partnerships.
* Lead on determining the commercial viability of new product areas within new market actors; identify the strategic partnerships between NU-TEC MD and these potential market actors.
* Ensure Technical and Logical quality of all intervention plans and market reports from the market teams.
* Oversee the effective implementation of all interventions, ensuring that initiative is taken within each intervention and relevant and appropriate work plans are developed for the interventions.
* Identify key policy issues for each intervention and establish appropriate partnerships and contacts aimed at driving the policy influencing strategies where applicable.
* Ensure value for money consideration in each and every intervention designed by the Technical Team.
Reporting and Knowledge Management
* Ensure sustained reporting on all intervention activities, progress reports, on and off field feedback and lessons learnt from each intervention.
* Lead in the drafting of progress reports and annual reports
* Support the drafting of Theory of Change and Results Chains for each and every intervention.
* Establish and maintain processes and systems which ensure strong continued linkages between the programme’s Results Measurement team and the Market Managers ensuring all interventions are adequately and extensively researched, reported and monitored.
* Identify opportunities for case stories/studies and guide technical team in drafting case stories.
* Support Team Leader in mentoring and guiding technical team in M4P and Market development approaches.
* Support technical team in Market Assessment, Business Planning and Investment Planning and Analysis.
* Support Team Leader to identify and put in place strategies for training and additional capacity building of team.
Essential Education and Experience Required
* A Master’s degree in Business, Economics or Agriculture, Development Studies or other related field with over 5 years relevant experience or BS degree in Business, Economics or Agriculture, Development Studies, Finance and Agribusiness or other related field with 8 years relevant experience.
* Experience in implementing M4P, Value chain Development or Private sector development programmes or investment promotion programmes.
* Relevant work experience should include activities related to agricultural commodities and rural development, or with experience working with the private sector. Critical will be to have knowledge of the institutions, companies and organisations that provide services to the agricultural sector in Uganda.
* Experience in investments analysis and planning
* Experience writing reports; ability to influence a range of people including client organisations, government agencies and other key stakeholders by building constructive relationships through clear communication and generate effective discussion and mutual support for plans and ideas.
* Strong project management expertise and exposure to guide technical team in implementing projects, and ability to bring together sector stakeholders would be advantageous.
Key Competencies Required:
* The ability to work within a fast-paced and dynamic environment;
* Excellent communications skills;
* A passion for the international development sector.
Exceptional analytical and writing skills
About the Organization
NU-TEC MD is a five year DFID funded programme that aims to increase the incomes and climate resilience of poor-men and women in northern Uganda (NU) by (a) stimulating sustainable, pro-poor growth in selected agricultural markets and (b) improving the position of poor men and women within these market systems, to make them more inclusive for poor people. Palladium manages the programme on behalf of DFID.
NU-TEC MD has the potential to sustainably and significantly improve the livelihoods of over 750,000 poor people in NU.
It is expected that the programme will deliver the following results:-
a)At least 750,000 poor people in Northern Uganda, 50% women, will see their resilience to climate change increased and incomes raised by at least 15%.
b)At least £55m in new investment supported by the project (excluding loans)
c)At least £90m in additional turnover in businesses supported by the project