Senior Material Engineer
Sheladia is currently seeking an energetic, highly-motivated, and detail-oriented individual who will serve as the Senior Material Engineer on a construction supervision project in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
The Senior Material Engineer will report directly to the Team Leader as well as the Sheladia Home Office Project Manager, from time to time. The tasks and responsibilities of the Senior Material Engineer include but not be limited to the following:
- Assist Team Leader and Senior Resident Engineer (SRE) in reviewing all structural concrete/ pavement/ grout/ material/ geotechnical aspects of the designs (especially those that will effectively protect the integrity of tendons), ensure that they meet technical and safety standards, and recommend modifications as necessary.
- Assist SRE in inspecting and monitoring the setting up of the Contractor’s laboratory, test procedures, crushing activities, concrete/ pavement mix designs, etc.
- Assist SRE in reviewing Contractor’s material plan, review and inspect establishment of production plants, and test run operation and calibration of all equipment and plants.
- Review Contractor’s Quality Assurance and testing plan for the construction and defects liability phases to effectively monitor and report on the quality of works in accordance with Technical Specification.
- Review information on soils and materials that the Contractor intends to incorporate in the Works and provide recommendation on their approval/ rejection.
- Provide on-the-job training and/or classroom training/ workshops as appropriate.
- Assist in preparation, review and timely submission of all relevant deliverables.
In addition to the above, the candidate will be responsible for supervising/ guiding/ working with national team members to achieve the project’s objectives.
The position will be based in Colombo, Sri Lanka. The project work hours/ week will be as per client’s requirements. The candidate is expected to abide by the cultural sensitivity and local rules applicable to foreign nationals in Sri Lanka.
Should be a professionally qualified BSc Civil Engineer with post graduate qualifications and minimum of 15 years’ experience in highway/ bridge projects. He/she should have a minimum of 5 years’ experience as a material engineer in construction supervision of post tensioned box girder bridges and elevated highways. He/she will assist Senior Resident Engineer (SRE) and Team Leader in ensuring that the design and contractions complies with technical and safety standards.
About the Organization
SHELADIA Associates is a multi-disciplinary international professional consulting firm with demonstrated experience in the successful management and implementation of development projects throughout the world. SHELADIA believes that practicality and sustainability in development projects require flexible resource management, active participation of all the entities involved, and a shared goal of strengthening institutions, and operational systems, to optimize the use of available resources.