The Communications & Public Engagement team at Plan is responsible for all brand management, corporate communications, media relations, and social media engagement for the organization. The team develops an annual brand and communications plan to raise the profile of the organization and communicate information about Plan’s impact. The team works collaboratively with the Programs & Policy, Marketing, and Philanthropy teams to ensure that the general public, the media, donors, and supporters receive well-branded and consistent communications from all departments within Plan. The team has specific annual goals for brand awareness and traditional and social media engagement.
The Communications & Public Engagement team reports to the Senior Director of Communications & Public Engagement and sits within the responsibilities of the Chief Marketing Officer.
- Build strong relationships with industry and mainstream media, focusing on outlets and reporters interested in international development, girls’ rights, and child protection.
- Identify and lead engagement with celebrities who are already or who may become interested in serving as Plan ambassadors. Coordinate within the Communications team and with other teams to execute celebrity support for Plan campaigns.
- Work with Plan staff to identify media outlets and opportunities to publish thought leadership pieces and contribute to stories related to Plan’s work. Ensure that critical Plan staff receive ongoing media training.
- Build an annual media plan for the organization, ensuring that the plan aligns with internal editorial/marketing initiatives, containing all critical campaigns, events, and important days of observance for the organization. Take a proactive approach to supporting internal areas with media outreach and support. Partner with agency staff as needed for campaigns and special projects.
- Provide regular (quarterly and ad hoc) reporting regarding media activity.
- Manage all media enquiries and create an online news portal; upload releases to on-line news desks and build a bank of stories that can be supplied to journalists.
- Develop and maintain crisis communications plan, working closely with other Plan teams and vendors to identify potential public relations concerns and draft response plans and materials.
- Work with Plan communications staff at International Headquarters and within other Plan offices to coordinate campaigns and media outreach.
- Be constantly curious about everything that’s happening at Plan, seeking out new case studies; helping to prioritize competing stories and campaigns; and educating the team about what makes good news stories and how to get the media’s attention.
- Ensure that all media and public engagement activity is compliant with current legislation, including media regulations, photo permissions, etc.
Qualifications Needed to Be Successful in the Job
- Extensive experience of media management and using monitoring systems
- Proven experience with managing press relationships, journalists, and media requests. Must be able to produce a portfolio showing range of experience.
- Strong track record of developing and running earned media and public relations campaigns to include creativity and idea generation.
- Strong copywriting, editing, and proofreading skills, with the ability to make complex information accessible, as well as crafting engaging press releases, statements, speeches, and cases studies.
- Experience securing and preparing spokespersons for TV and radio interviews, including some personal experience of managing photo calls, high-profile visits, and media presence at events.
- Experience with planning for and effective handling of media crises, identifying and mitigating reputational risks.
- Flexibility and willingness to work independently and as part of a team, with excellent organizational skills, the ability to meet deadlines, and management of a varied workload
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to establish effective working relationships and make sound judgments. Experienced in handling highly sensitive and confidential information.
Education and Experience
- Bachelors’ degree required
- 10+ years’ experience in public relations in-house or within an agency, with demonstrated experience in media relations
- Strong writing, editing, and communication skills; strong skills in persuasion and ability to stay calm in difficult and stressful situations
- Experience in an internal or external client service capacity
- Experience integrating traditional and social/new media campaigns
- Preference will be given to candidates with non-profit and/or international development experience and candidates with experience in celebrity engagement
Physical and Mental Demands
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job
- Typical office environment
- International travel may be required occasionally based on matters such as reporting needs, training needs, or other global meetings
- Somedomestic travel
- Executive Team
- Plan International USA Management and business unit leaders
- Country office staff, as needed
- International Headquarters Communications Team
- General public, celebrities, donors, and supporters
- Elected officials
About the Organization
Plan International USA (Plan) is part of a global organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters, and partners to:
- Empower children, young people, and communities to make vital changes that tackle the root causes of discrimination against girls, exclusion, and vulnerability.
- Drive change in practice and policy at local, national, and global levels through our reach, experience, and knowledge of the realities children face.
- Work with children and communities to prepare for and respond to crises and to overcome adversity.
- Support the safe and successful progression of children from birth to adulthood.
Founded in 1937, Plan now works in more than 70 countries. Our programs in water and sanitation, health, education, child protection, economic empowerment, and disaster response directly impacted x people in 2017 and our advocacy work made progress in addressing girls’ rights by bringing girls’ voices to the forefront in policy discussions on early marriage, sexual and reproductive health, and gender-based violence.
Plan International USA has two offices, located in Washington, DC and Warwick, RI. It is part of the global Plan International federation, which comprises collaborative partnerships between 21 national offices and 51 country offices. Plan International USA is a registered 501(c)(3) organization and has an independent Board of Directors.