SI has been contracted by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to conduct an impact evaluation to test the effectiveness of USAID Nurture, a multi-sectoral intervention to reduce stunting in children throughout Laos. The impact evaluation will contribute to the evidence base in determining whether the multi-sectoral approach to reduce stunting is successful within the Laos context and what changes may be needed to improve results. The purpose of this project is to provide data and feedback to help increase the effectiveness of Activity implementation, and it is designed to answer two evaluation questions, outlined below:
- What is the effectiveness of the USAID Nurture approach in improving the nutritional status of children under two in target areas?
- To what extent did each of the individual components of the USAID Nurture approach (maternal, IYCF, and WASH) contribute to the effectiveness of the overall approach?
Period of Performance:
This is a part-time position, and we are looking to hire as soon as possible. Level of Effort estimates are outlined below:
- 25 Days in 2020 (Endline data collection o/a April - July)
- Includes approximately 15 days of fieldwork in Laos o/a May 2020
The Senior Nutrition Specialist will be responsible for providing technical guidance on nutrition-related components of the evaluation endline deliverables. They will draft nutrition-related elements of the qualitative interview protocols and provide feedback on nutrition and WASH-related revisions to the quantitative survey. The Senior Nutrition Specialist will lead analysis of and reporting on WASH and nutrition indicators to feed into final deliverables and help oversee preliminary data collection to provide guidance and oversight on measurement of key nutrition and WASH indicators. They are responsible for training moderators on proper execution of the final interview protocol and instrument use. They will contribute to in-field qualitative data collection and analysis by co-facilitating Key Informant Interviews and Focus Group Discussions with beneficiaries, community leaders, and other stakeholders and ensuring data quality.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the development of research tools, data collection, analysis and reporting.
- Participate in evaluation methods training for local interpreters and planning sessions prior to fieldwork.
- Conduct qualitative data collection leading interviews and team coordination.
- Review and advise on interview schedule.
- Lead data analysis and note synthesis. Data will be in the form of qualitative notes;
- Contribute to developing and drafting documents and reports;
- Present to, communicate, and interface with client, IP staff, and stakeholders.
- At least Master’s Degree in relevant nutrition or public health field;
- Experience conducting evaluations in the nutrition field; particularly with qualitative methodologies;
- Familiarity with nutrition indicators, sanitation indicators, and anthropometric measurements
- Previous experience with qualitative research at the intersection between nutrition and sanitation programs;
- Familiarity with coordinating qualitative research teams;
- Proficiency in Lao language;
- Experience working in Southeast Asia
- Familiarity with the Laos government Asia regional, and U.S. Government’s initiatives/ guidance on nutrition and WASH;
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.