This position will primarily be responsible for working with the New Business Development team developing costing proposals and/or pricing strategies for US Government, international government, and private donors/foundation opportunities. S/he must ensure that accurate proposal budgets and budget notes are submitted to donors in accordance with the proposal submission guidelines, deadlines and V37 policies and procedures. S/he will be responsible for developing tools and templates to assist the organization in evaluating pricing strategies and understanding organizational cost recovery, as well as delivering internal training to the organization on how to utilize them. The candidate will provide support and guidance to other staff preparing NBD budgets and will review NBD budgets prepared by others where necessary.
In addition to NBD proposal budget preparation, this position may assist with supporting the existing project portfolio. This may include working with field staff to review and adjust forecasts to match the technical workplan, assisting with budget realignments, assisting with the organizational annual business plan and preparing reports and analytics for V37 management.
This position may require up to 15% travel.
New Business Development Cost Proposals:
- Prepare budgets for solicited and non-solicited New Business opportunities with the US Government, non-USG Government organizations (i.e.: FCDO, EU, Irish Aid, UN, etc.) and other NGO’s / private foundations and funders.
- Collaborate with Venture37 design teams to understand proposal strategies and the implications of those strategies on the budget, including attending design review meetings as appropriate.
- Prepare draft excel budget using the donor or V37 approved budget templates using initial design information.
- Take notes on design changes as the proposal moves through the V37 process and incorporate those changes into multiple cost proposal revisions in accordance with the deadlines provided by the Team Leader (can be <24 hours depending on number of complexity of changes).
- Prepare a written narrative that matches the approved excel budget using the donor or V37 approved template.
- Participate in budget review meetings and incorporate all changes as directed.
- Collaborate with the New Business team to develop pricing strategy models for new potential funders.
- Develop customized templates which meet donor specifications for budget submissions utilizing advanced spreadsheet techniques in Excel.
- Modify existing costing templates in accordance with donor requirements and/or to implement process improvements.
- Develop and maintain budgeting guidance materials and ensure those standards are followed during the budgeting process.
- Deliver staff training on cost proposal development.
Forecasting, Budgeting and Analysis:
- Work on financial modeling related to predicting future outcomes.
- Assist with the annual business planning process for V37.
- Conduct periodic training for worldwide staff on budgeting and forecasting.
- Create spreadsheets and tools to aid in financial analysis and forecasting.
- Other projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field.
- Must have at least five (5) to seven (7) years prior financial analysis and budgeting experience.
- Sound general accounting knowledge with budgeting and financial analysis skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English.
- Excellent organizational skills with an emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proven ability to work with English as Second Language (ESL) staff in global locations.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills and working knowledge other MS Office Suite programs.
- Ability to work independently and adjust quickly to change in a fast paced environment.
- Experience working with US government agencies, private foundations or NGO’s, and/or non-US Government donors (i.e.: DFID / FCDO, Irish Aid, EU, DFAT, etc.) preferred.
About the Organization
Land O'Lakes Venture37 is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit committed to helping communities around the world build economies by strengthening local agriculture, helping agribusinesses create jobs and linking farmers to markets. Since 1981, it has implemented over 315 integrated dairy, livestock and crops development programs in nearly 80 countries — creating lasting impact by linking farmers, businesses, and the public and private sector in local and global contexts. Land O’Lakes Venture37’s long-standing affiliation with Land O’Lakes, Inc. sets it apart. Land O’Lakes, Inc. is one of America’s largest farmer-owned cooperatives. It supports Land O’Lakes Venture37 project implementation with nearly 100 years of expertise in dairy, animal nutrition, crop inputs and agricultural insights and technologies. This gives Land O’Lakes Venture37 development projects a unique global view of agriculture, food and the power of well-functioning market systems. Land O’Lakes, Inc. supports these efforts as part of its enterprise purpose of Feeding Human Progress at home and around the world.