The Programa Nasional Dezenvolvimentu Suku (PNDS), or National Program for Village Development, is a new, nation-wide community development program of the Government of Timor-Leste. Launched in June 2012 and valued at $300 million over 8 years from 2014, it will contribute to rural development by funding the ‘missing link’ to services – basic village infrastructure – and provide jobs and training.
The Government will provide communities with an annual grant of around US$50,000 to plan, construct and manage their own small‑scale infrastructure projects. The program is due to be field tested in 30 sukus in 2013 and implementation will commence in all 442 sukus in 2014.
An Inter‑Ministerial Committee and Technical Working Group have been established to develop PNDS, representing key ministries (Finance, State Administration, Health, Education, Agriculture, Public Works and the National Development Agency). A PNDS Secretariat within the Ministry of State Administration supports these bodies and is responsible for the implementation of PNDS. The Secretariat is headed by the Director General Local Development.
The government has requested Australia (through AusAID) to support PNDS. Through its Interim Governance for Development Program, AusAID is currently assisting the government to design the program, train program personnel and implement a field test. A new AusAID program, to support PNDS, is currently being designed to support the Government of Timor-Leste with the implementation of PNDS from 2014.
The purpose of the Senior Program Coordinator position is to support the PNDS Secretariat in the design and field testing of the program in order to ensure preparation is complete for the national program roll-out in 2014.
The Senior Program Coordinator will report to the Program Director and manage the Design and Policy Unit, consisting of technical advisers, field test team and support staff to the PNDS Secretariat. The Senior Program Coordinator will work closely with the Cardno operations and training teams and AusAID community development officials.
The position will be co-located with the PNDS Secretariat in the Ministry of State Administration.
- Lead and manage the Design and Policy Unit of the PNDS Support Program.
- Assist the PNDS Secretariat to manage inter-ministerial coordination and relationships.
- Provide advice to the PNDS Secretariat on community-driven development, program policy and management issues.
- Provide critical inputs to the Secretariat on the design, field testing and implementation of PNDS.
- Provide technical advice on program design, conduct of the field test and implementation of the program.
- Support the PNDS Secretariat with annual planning and budgeting, Ministerial and inter-ministerial briefings, and development of systems for the effective operation of national and district PNDS offices.
- Coordinate the inputs of stakeholders and partners in the planning and implementation of the field test in 2013.
- Ensure that findings from the 2013 field test are provided to the training team and that training materials, guidelines and field books are updated.
- Provide advice to the PNDS Secretariat to support the coordination of the Inter-ministerial Committee and to facilitate communication and inputs from ministries.
- Coordinate the planning and design of the monitoring and evaluation framework for PNDS in collaboration with the M&E Adviser.
- Provide leadership to the field test, technical adviser and administration teams within the Design and Policy Unit to ensure coordination of inputs and activities in support of PNDS.
- Prepare an annual work plan for the Unit, oversee advisers’ work planning and reporting, and manage adviser inputs and performance.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly progress reports for the Unit, and other reports and updates as required.
- Support and promote capacity development of national counterparts and PNDS Support Program staff.
- Other activities relevant to the role or as requested by the Program Director.
- A degree in a relevant field.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience for instance community-driven development, program coordination, management and advisory services, capacity building, team building, monitoring and evaluation.
- Highly developed inter-personal skills (particularly with people from different social, ethnic and cultural backgrounds) and experience in networking and maintaining relationships across a range of stakeholders in a cross-cultural environment.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and working effectively with a team of international consultants.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in a cross-cultural environment.
- Proficiency in a language other than English – particularly Tetun or Bahasa Indonesia.
- Work experience in Timor-Leste or Indonesia.
- Experience working and delivering results in an AusAID-funded project.
Adviser Remuneration Framework
Discipline Group B Job Level 4 (B4) Long Term Adviser (LTA)
More information about the Adviser Remuneration Framework (ARF) can be found here: http://www.ausaid.gov.au/publications/pages/3994_1809_6357_1618_6763.aspx
This position forms part of the PNDS Support Services Program. The successful applicant will lead the Design and Policy Unit, a multi-disciplinary team that provides support to the Government of Timor-Leste, AusAID and Cardno in the planning and implementation of PNDS. The Senior Program Coordinator will maintain a strong working relationship with GoTL, AusAID and other development partners.
Approved for the period June 2013 – February 2014 with potential for extension.
AusAID Governance for Development Program
How to apply for this position
ESSENTIAL: Applications must include:
1. Response against each of the selection criteria (no more than 4 pages in total).
2. Curriculum vitae/resume.
3. Name and contact details (phone and email) of three referees.
Applications that do not address all the requirements stated above will not be considered.
Email your application with the reference “PNDS – D01 –Senior Program Coordinator” in the subject line firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information about this position:
Email email@example.com with the reference “PNDS – D01 –Senior Program Coordinator” in the subject line.
Closing date: 5.00pm Dili time 30 May 2013.
Late applications will not be considered.