CRDF Global is seeking an experienced Senior Program Manager (SPM) to function as the Biosecurity Engagement Program (BEP) Team Lead. An individual in this position is responsible for leading the BEP team and managing a portfolio of grant agreements constituting the BEP program.
BEP is the program of the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of International Security and Nonproliferation, Office of Cooperative Threat Reduction. CRDF Global is one of the key implementers supporting BEP. The mission of the program is to reduce the risks posed by biological threats, to engage life scientists and to combat biological threats worldwide by providing assistance to improve biosecurity, biosafety, pathogen surveillance, and infectious disease surveillance and response. In every country where BEP is active, the overarching goal is to work with governments, scientists, and other stakeholders to build sustainable capacity for biosecurity, biosafety, disease surveillance, and cooperative scientific research.
The BEP Team Lead has strong staff management and team leadership experience as well as extensive expertise to apply best program or project management practices in every-day operations. S/he has experience successfully managing high-impact international programs, including in challenging and low-resource environments. BEP Team Lead works closely with the CRDF Global Client Relationship Manager and Practice Area Director, and contributes to building and developing relationship with the client, the U.S. Department of State. The BEP Team Lead is also responsible for maintaining and growing CRDF Global’s contribution and impact in the areas of global health, safety, security and sustainability.
- Manage BEP team and BEP program scope, schedule and budget across all active grant agreements (GAs):
- Manage program scope, budget and schedule; ensure that the team delivers projects on time, on budget and in accordance with the approved scope
- Develop staff and appropriately apply staff’s talents
- Manage annual goal setting and staff performance
- Ensure team’s compliance with GAs (e.g. SOW, reporting, etc.), client’s requirements and internal SOPs
- Continue and grow relationship with the U.S. Department of State’s CTR BEP team
- Work closely with other team leads, management (including CRDF Global’s Jordan office) and strive for consistent high-quality service delivery to the U.S. Department of State
- Work closely with the Director and other Team Leads to recognize revenue and accomplish (or exceed) annual budget target
- Work closely with Operation Support to facilitate BEP program implementation
- Lead annual CRDF Global BEP proposal development efforts; hold primary responsibility for submitting high-quality proposals and securing funding renewals and program growth
- Hire and train new staff, as necessary
- Work with the Director, executives and management across the organization to seek new ways to advance CRDF Global mission and accomplish organizations’ strategic objectives
- Stay current on key developments around the world affecting CRDF Global program implementation
- Represent CRDF Global at external events (e.g. scientific and business conferences), make presentations and interact with attendees to educate them about CRDF Global
- Participate in organization-wide growth and capture efforts
- Participate in internal process improvement/development efforts
- Ensure reporting staff’s compliance with CRDF Global policies and rules
- Ensure reporting staff’s contribution to the organization’s and practice area’s progress towards the strategic goals and objectives
- Take on other tasks as assigned by Director.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 7 years of work experience, including
- 3-5 years of staff/team management experience
- 5 years of program management experience; experience managing international programs is preferred
- 5 years of experience managing U.S. government contracts and/or grant agreements
- Thorough understanding of federal grant or contract rules and regulations
- Strong program and project scheduling and management expertise; knowledge and application of best project and program management practices in every-day operations
- Strong program financial management expertise and skills, i.e. budget development and tracking, forecasting, resource allocation and management
- Ability to interact with a wide range of individuals from varied backgrounds at all levels
- Excellent communication skills: active listening, effective speaking, and clear & concise writing
- Strong analytical skills combined with the ability to generate concepts, take ambitious ideas and break them into manageable, creative, ambitious new projects
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally and domestically
- Eligibility to obtain security clearance
- U.S. work authorization
CRDF Global offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to health insurance, wellness program participation, annual leave, tuition reimbursement, 403(b) contribution.
CRDF Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). CRDF Global provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran or disabled status.
About the Organization
Founded in 1995, CRDF Global is an independent nonprofit organization that promotes international scientific and technical collaboration through grants, technical resources, training, and services. Based in Arlington, Virginia with offices in the Eurasia and MENA regions, CRDF Global works with more than 40 countries in the Middle East, North Africa, Eurasia, and Asia. We specialize in bringing isolated scientific communities into the scientific mainstream through a variety of science engagement and capacity-building programs. CRDF Global encourages science cooperation between countries where official relations are strained.
CRDF Global believes that the world’s scientists and innovators must work together to help solve today’s global challenges in such areas as global health; nuclear, biological and chemical security, and water, food, energy nexus. Through collaboration, scientists and innovators also enhance international understanding that can help to improve relations between countries. Our distinction lies in our ability to offer programs that empower grantees at every stage of science and tech innovation combined with our deep understanding of international grant and financial management processes.