The Senior Program Manager is a key member of the division management team, providing supervision and support to an assigned sub-set of SI staff. He/she performs critical personnel management business development and service delivery functions. He/she supports the Program Director by providing direct oversight of select projects and staff, and participates in key decisions affecting the service area team including bid and staffing decisions. The Senior Program Manager has experience managing complex projects, is a skilled team leader, has an established track record in all aspects of people management and is able to support a variety of organizational management functions such as planning, budgeting and resource planning. He/she also supports business development/revenue generation functions and maintains a billability rate of approximately 60-65%.
The Senior Program Manager plays a key role in division personnel management by overseeing an assigned set of approximately 4-5 service area staff, including Program Managers, Program Associates, and Program Assistants:
- Provides direct supervision of assigned staff.
- Oversees work assignments.
- Assesses workloads, identifies personnel resource needs through forecasting, and makes recommendations to implement re source leveling, bid assignments or hiring decisions.
- Aligns staff interests and expertise with projects and organizational needs.
- Serves as a coach and mentor to assigned staff, overseeing the professional development of direct reports.
- Carries out ongoing and end-of-year performance appraisals for assigned staff, seeking input from other managers and staff who have worked with the staff member. Recommends staff for promotions based on their performance during the end- of-year appraisal process.
- Participates in the recruitment and hiring of new service area staff.
The Senior Program Manager is expected to be billable for approximately 60-65% of his/her time:
- Provides management support on large, complex, and/or high visibility projects.
- Serves in a technical capacity as an evaluation team member, deputy team leader or manager on evaluations; and as a Deputy IQC Manager on umbrella contracts.
- When serving as an evaluation manager, technical advisor, or project director on evaluations, provides technical advice and quality assurance services to the team implementing the contract.
- Establishes strong relationships with clients, chiefs of party, and other stakeholders.
- Serves in other senior technical roles as required by specific projects, including as a trainer on M&E training contracts where appropriate.
Business Development/Revenue Generation
The Senior Program Manager is expected to spend time supporting revenue generation activities. This mainly includes support for proposal development related to new bids. The Senior Program Manager may be called upon to identify new opportunities, write or lead technical sections for proposals, review draft proposals, identify staff to be included in proposals, and work with the Finance Department to develop and review budgets.
Other Management Functions
The Senior Program Manager may also be asked to support other service area management functions from time to time.
- Master’s degree in international development or other related social sciences,
- Illustrative working experience of 5 to 15 years will include: a minimum of 5 years’ experience designing and implementing data collection tools, conducting data analysis, and writing evaluation, assessment, and/or research reports.
- Demonstrated experience training others in evaluation techniques preferred.
- Experience working with USAID, Department of State and/or other donor agencies and foundations to produce useful and accurate products.
- Demonstrated experience managing large and/or complex donor contracts, with positive results.
- Demonstrated experience managing personnel, providing mentorship, and/or conducting resource planning.
- Proficiency in a foreign language, such as French is a plus.
- Technical expertise in one or more sectors (e.g. health, environment, education, economic growth, democracy and governance) a strong plus.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, entrepreneurial, management, and writing skills required.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, growing business environment.
- Willingness to travel on assignment approximately 20% of the time.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.