A critical member of the FHI 360 Crisis Response Department, the Senior Program Officer will be expected to provide critical operational and technical support to ongoing integrated emergency programs under management of the Crisis Response Department. The ideal candidate will possess a high level of competency and comfort contributing significantly to proposal writing and editing to support development of new opportunities, as well as backstopping and supporting humanitarian programs funded by traditional donors (including USAID/OFDA, PRM, DFID, ECHO, UN Agencies, SIDA etc) and nontraditional donors, foundations, and potential partner corporations focusing on social responsibility and looking to expand their engagement into the humanitarian assistance arena. The FHI 360 Crisis Response team is passionate about building this practice area, focusing on providing integrated humanitarian assistance in form of health, nutrition, and WASH programming, and is looking for a strong experienced candidate who is well versed in humanitarian program management, business development, and provision of day-to-day support to program operations.
The Senior Program officer will be expected to:
- Provide operational support to ongoing programs under management of the Crisis Response Department as assigned.
- Support the Crisis Response Department in ensuring completion of program and deliverables in adherence to the scope, budget, and schedule of the programs being implemented and under the responsibility of the Program Officer.
- Support the development and review of annual work plans, monitoring and evaluations plans, and other program related objectives and deliverables.
- Collect, compile, and analyze program information, provide secondary research for any relevant topic as needed to inform decision making and execution.
- Provide support from the HQ side for monitoring and evaluation efforts, strengthening data quality through review, and providing monthly high level analysis of program implementation progress and presentation of progress toward achieving targets.
- Identify resource development opportunities and support development of proposals, including budgeting and writing significant portions of proposals as needed in support of country programs under the Program Officers responsibility.
- Support Technical Director of the Crisis Response Department as required.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Exercise sound judgement through problem solving and continuous engagement with the field team on all matters requiring HQ support, demonstrate sound decision making, provide timely support to the CRD group and programs under the responsibility of the Program Officer.
- Build productive working relationships internally with other departments at FHI 360, including Business Management Services, Contract Management Services, Business Development, Cost and Pricing, Human Resources, ISS, Purchasing and others as relevant to performing the duties of the Program Officer position.
- Work to identify in advance problems that may cause delays and affect the unit adversely, flag them, and work proactively toward resolving them constructively and effectively.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent • Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field.
- Project Management (PM) Certification preferred.
- Typically requires a minimum of 8 + years’ experience with program management, cross- cultural communications, US Government rules and regulations.
- Substantial experience using computerized information systems.
- Articulate and professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English; fluent in additional languages is highly valuable.
- Prior team lead experience preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership experience preferred.
- Previous experience in backstopping humanitarian programs from major donors including (but not limited to) USAID/OFDA, PRM, DFID etc.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.