R4D’s Market Shaping practice area has deep experience in catalyzing increased access to and improved appropriate use of essential products, towards helping people lead healthier, more productive lives. The Market Shaping practice achieves this by leveraging four technical approaches – market analysis, strategy development, catalytic implementation and evidence generation – at a systems level, to holistically and sustainably optimize and transform markets. More specifically, we align priorities and incentives of policymakers, procurers, financiers, and manufacturers at the global- and country-levels, to develop and catalyze implementation of evidence-backed solutions for underserved markets at scale. Using practical and business-driven approaches, from increasing market transparency around sizes of various segments, improving demand forecasting, developing purchasing and value chain strategies, to crafting cost-effectiveness and financing gap analyses, our work ensures that the market operates with improved efficiency, and that utilization of life-saving products is also increased. Previously designed market-shaping solutions by R4D have the potential to achieve over a billion dollars in savings and availability of high-quality products in health, including for HIV/AIDS, malaria, childhood pneumonia, maternal health, and neglected diseases prevention and treatment as well as for nutrition, education and sanitation.
R4D is seeking a Senior Program Officer (SPO) to play a key leadership role on the Market Shaping team by providing technical leadership and program management of ongoing projects that rapidly develop analyses to identify holistic barriers in a market, generate evidence, and design creative solutions to address identified barriers. The SPO will manage relationships with existing stakeholder and cultivate new partnerships that aim to communicate our impact and expand it in creative manners. The SPO will also lead strategic and entrepreneurial thinking about the development of the Market Shaping portfolio and make significant contributions to new business development opportunities, including collaborating with other R4D practice areas.
This position is based in Washington, D.C., and will report to the Market Shaping team’s Program Director.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Lead on the application of market shaping approaches to solve complex and ambiguous challenges
• Lead project conceptualization and operationalization
• Oversee project work plans and timely execution of project activities
• Lead development of analytic deliverables, ensuring high quality and technical accuracy
• Conceptualize strategic areas of impact and opportunity where R4D’s market shaping expertise can catalyze access and improve appropriate use of essential products;
• Co-lead business development efforts in collaboration with market shaping team members and across R4D teams, to mobilize resources to finance those opportunities;
• Foster and manage strategic relationships with a wide range of U.S. and international stakeholders
• Lead key meetings and events, including setting priorities, planning agendas and presentations, development stakeholder engagement strategies
• Develop knowledge management and communication strategies to promote the dissemination of learnings and new knowledge
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
• Oversee and manage internal operations related to funder reporting, engagement, grant management and budget tracking
• Provide people management, by providing direction, input, coaching, and mentoring to current team members; lead the hiring of new staff as needed
• MA in business/management, public policy/administration, or other related advanced degree
• Minimum 7 years of relevant work experience in optimizing markets, preferably related to global health and nutrition
• Entrepreneurial and collaborative leader with proven experience conceptualizing, planning, and executing initiatives and solutions to ambiguous and complex problems
• Excellent qualitative and quantitative analytical skills required
• Significant experience leading the development of high-quality deliverables, including presentations and written reports, and previous exposure to evaluation & learning methods and user-centered design approaches
• Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated success in cultivating and managing relationships across public and private sector actors in the U.S. and internationally, as well as major donors
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to deliver compelling presentations with both technical and non-technical audiences
• Ability to generate new business opportunities, set priorities, handle competing time/resource demands, solve problems and work in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
• Approachable leadership style with demonstrated experience managing teams and supporting their professional growth
• High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
• Willingness to travel domestically and internationally, per project need