POSITION TITLE: Senior Program Officer, Water
LOCATION: Arlington, VA
DEPARTMENT: Water Unit, Clean Energy, Environment and Water Group
REPORTS TO: Deputy Sr. Director, Water
Winrock International’s Clean Energy, Environment & Water group’s portfolio includes a range of small and large, complex, internationally funded projects undertaking a wide range of activities, including water resource management (WRM), WASH, water governance, and Multiple-use water Services (MUS) programs at the community, province and national levels. The Snr. Program officer position entails a combination of project management, technical advice and support to projects, and business development. The Snr. Program Officer will lead home office support for technical, financial and operational aspects of complex projects, including coaching junior staff on these topics. The Sr. Program Officer will support the overall growth of Winrock’s water and sanitation portfolio through strategic planning, coordination across Winrock program units, and new business development focusing on water security, resilience, and/or sanitation projects in developing countries.
Project Implementation and Management (60%)
- Manage all aspects of large multidisciplinary and complex international development projects. This includes financial, technical and innovative oversight and leadership; supporting or overseeing development of workplans and budgets; financial analysis and planning; personnel coordination and recruitment; project mobilization and close out.
- Supervise junior staff, administrative staff and partner relationships as assigned.
- Prepare and contribute to internal/external reports and presentations.
- Ensure staff and consultants follow WI operational policy and procedures on projects.
- Oversee the preparation and distribution financial reports to USAID and other donors.
- Manage assigned project staff, potentially including Chief(s) of Party.
Technical assignments (15%)
- Contribute technical inputs to projects within area of expertise. This may leading technical work, managing teams, and/or completing quality assurance reviews of deliverables.
- Analyze project successes to build on lessons learned.
- Stay abreast of international water and sanitation activities, programs and funding opportunities
- Speak at conferences or other events on technical water issues to help demonstrate Winrock’s expertise in water
New Business Development (20%)
- Work with the CEEW new business team and lead new business efforts to identify, track, and provide technical input and advice on opportunities to expand Winrock’s water practice across the key areas. This includes strategic planning, gap assessments, promoting organization-wide coordination, competition analysis new business capture and intelligence gathering, and support donor and partner relationship;
- Maintain close communication and liaison with donors to manage projects and develop new business.
- Serve as technical lead, lead writer, or proposal lead for Winrock proposals, including technical program design and contributing to budget development
Other Responsibilities (5%)
- Participate and contribute to institutional strategic planning exercises and group level strategy, including supporting goals and objectives of the CEEW work plan.
- Communicate to internal and external audiences effectively across different technical areas, convening teams appropriately.
- Perform related tasks as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
- Bachelor’s degree in Water Resource Management, International Development Public Administration or related field required. Master’s degree or PhD preferred.
- At least 10 years of progressive, cross-sectoral project and program development experience, including 5 years of management experience. Field based experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working on water resource and sanitation projects, issues, and management, including WASH and one or more of WRM, MUS, and the water-energy-food nexus.
- Demonstrated writing experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work with public and private funding organizations.
- Proven experience managing large international projects.
- Experience working on USAID projects is required, and experience with other donors is desired.
- Demonstrated international experience strongly desired.
- Demonstrated skills in project planning and budgeting.
- Demonstrated communication skills (written and oral) for interaction with donors, proposal preparation, and public relations.
- Proficiency in management tasks
- Excellent organizational skills essential, including ability to coordinate a variety of tasks, meet deadlines, work effectively under pressure, and work as team player.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks.
- Team player and excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated leadership and cross cultural skills
- Demonstrated strong analytical capability and problem solving abilities required.
- English professional-level oral and written fluency required
- Fluency in French strongly preferred.
- Must be willing and able to travel without dependents to remote locations both domestically and internationally, including complex operating environments.
- Must not require sponsorship to work in the US.
About the Organization
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.