National Consultant - Sebzor Senior Project Manager, Tajikistan, seconded to Pamir Energy Company
- Project/Company: USAID Power the Future project implemented by Tetra Tech Inc
- Assignment start date: o/a April, 2020
- Location: Khorog/Sebzor Project Sites, VMKB (Tajikistan) – with regular travel within Tajikistan
- Initial Term: Full time, April 2020 – August 2021, subject to extension
USAID POWER THE FUTURE PROJECT
Tetra Tech is implementing the Power the Future project (PtF) under the contract with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) from August 2017-2021. PtF is working to enhance regional cooperation on shared energy resources, working across the five countries of Central Asia to accelerate the transition to clean energy. On a national level PtF is supporting each country of Central Asia, following international best practices, to create effective enabling environments for private sector investments in renewable energy (RE) that accounts for the low wholesale and retail electricity prices that are common throughout the region. PtF also supports development of policy and regulatory preconditions for investment in RE and energy efficiency (EE).
PAMIR ENERGY AND SEBZOR PROJECT
Since 2008, Pamir Energy (PE) under the protocol of cooperation in energy sector between the Government of Tajikistan and the Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development provides electricity to over 40’000 people in Afghanistan, with an additional 420,000 to be added in the next seven years subject to availability of funds for construction of transmission line and distribution network in Afghanistan. In total, these consumers will require approximately 10.7 MW of capacity, and as PE continues to construct additional transmission lines, more capacity will be required.
To meet this increased demand, PE had identified a site for a new 11 MW HPP, which was endorsed by the Government of Tajikistan. SWECO (Swedish based consulting company) has completed a feasibility study of the Sebzor project in 2016. The Project comprises the construction of a basic, run of the river power plant with an estimated generation potential of about 94.5 GWh annually. The HPP will be connected to PE’s main transmission grid via a 20 km 110 kV line to the Khorog substation and to the local 35 kV grid.
Government of Tajikistan has entrusted PE to implement the Sebzor project as a project executing agency. The project’s total cost is around US $40 million and is being supported by a consortium of donors including the European Union (EU) and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) channeled through the German Development Bank (KfW), the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO), the World Bank (WB) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
As part of this funding consortium, USAID through the PtF is providing technical assistance to Sebzor Project Coordination Unit of PE to improve the company’s capacity in renewable energy development and support implementation of the HPP.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Sebzor Senior Project Manager will be required to oversee performance and delivery of the project in accordance with the timescales and project budget and to the required quality standards for the Donor-funded Sebzor Project in VMKB, Tajikistan. They shall be the focal point for all construction and project site management and works for all contractors and construction-related personnel, and will work under the technical supervision of the Project Director.
- Managing all recruitment requirements for the duration of the projects
- Ensuring that adequate induction and training is provided to enable all personnel to carry out their duties effectively, efficiently and safely
- Leading and advising Site Engineers / General Forepersons and Trade Staff
- Liaising with Design Teams (Architects / Engineers/Quantity Surveyors)
- Preparation of Implementation and Plant Schedules/Programmes
- Identification of potential risks and delays to progress
- Health, Safety and Welfare on site, including preparation of Risk Assessments, Method Statements, and any other associated reports.
- Ensuring all public affected by works comply with company safety policies and oversee all daily field operations for self-performing crews and subcontractors to ensure proper site safety, construction, progress, quality control and an organized work at site
- Directly supervise and manage project sites within Civil discipline scope and ensure that all site activities undertaken by employees and subcontractors are in accordance with company policy and procedures
- Supervise preparation of Material Schedules
- Supervise foundation, soil improvement, building, weir intake structure, hydropower, road and tunnel.
- Determine the safest and most efficient means and methods to complete work, including proper equipment sizing and staffing.
- Demonstrate and maintain effective and open dialogue with the project team regarding changes in work, job conditions, subcontractor relations and any deviation in the direction of the project.
- Demonstrating excellent knowledge of the Design and Construction drawings
- Dealing with any Disciplinary Matters
- Frequent visits to, and stays at, the project sites and will involve close liaison and co-ordination with PE management and the site personnel
- Attending meetings when requested, including but not limited to technical, progress and sub-contractor meetings
- Maintain and review punch list process to ensure all items are addressed and executed in a timely manner.
- Progress Reporting – format and frequency to be determined by PE
- Scheduling, Costing and Planning
- Recording Confirmation of Instructions
- Recording and preparing Operation Record Sheets
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Civil Engineering or Construction Management, or other relevant degree
- A minimum of 7 years relevant project management experience
- Understanding for FIDIC projects preferred
- Experience in managing of projects up to the value of US$50 million
- A proven track record of team building and delegation skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Fluency in Tajik, Russian , and English required
- Familiarity with the programming and scheduling of constuction projects
- Senior Project Manager will be hired by Tetra Tech Inc. under the framework of the PtF project starting o/a April 2020, and will be seconded to PE for the contract’s duration. After the end of the contract with Tetra Tech Inc. the consultant might continue their service under a contract with PE if the position is required
- They will work under the technical supervision of the Sebzor Project Director. Regular interactions with General Director and the Head of the Project Implementation Unit are expected.
- Senior Project Manager will also submit regular reports to TT which will be reviewed, approved, and signed off on by PE prior to submission to TT.
- They align with managers of business operations, including relevant divisions of finance, legal and project development.
Please send your CV and Cover Letter to PTFCAREMBIDS@TETRATECH.COM no later than 18:00, April 3rd, 2020 Eastern Standard Time. The Cover Letter shall describe in details how your background and work experience meet the required qualificaitons of the position. Incomplete applications or applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates selected for the interview will be contacted.
About the Organization
Tetra Tech Inc. is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees— 20,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams.
Tetra Tech ES, Inc., a subsidiary of Tetra Tech, is a leading provider of energy services working worldwide for development agencies, governments, multilateral banks, and multinational corporations. We provide technical solutions for the world's most complex energy challenges including energy policy and regulatory advisory services, utility reform, financial advisory services, clean energy deployment, and connectivity solutions.