Senior Project Manager, Africa Region, Arlington, VA
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with more than 80 organizations across all sectors of international development with clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com .
**Please note: U.S. work authorization is required for this position.**
MSI is recruiting a Senior Project Manager to handle a diverse portfolio of projects in the Africa region, including but not limited to projects operating in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Projects have in-country presence and undertake a variety of activities that will often mobilize external consultants and teams in challenging environments. One of the project is grants-based, operating out of North and South Kivu, while the others are in the area of monitoring and evaluation.
The Senior Project Manager is responsible for managing projects of considerable cost and technical complexity. She/he should possess specialized knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience to use independent judgment in the performance of their duties and should be capable of carrying out work with little guidance or supervision, to include providing administrative, contractual, and financial oversight of home- and field-office based operations. This individual is a self-starter: bright, motivated and dynamic, with a demonstrated ability to troubleshoot complex projects operating in conflict zone environments. This position requires proven experience and knowledge of FAR, USAID ADS, AIDAR and business practices. This position reports to the Director of Operations and will also supervise project manager(s) and associate(s).
- Responsible for overall contractual and financial management of international development projects, as well as ensuring compliance with subject contracts, applicable U.S. and host country laws and regulations.
- Work with other departments, subcontractors, and independent consultants on the implementation of complex project tasks, programming, and other activities for assigned projects.
- Plan, prepare and communicate schedules and progress records of project activities and expenditures, and assist others in establishing and adhering to project schedules and milestones.
- Establish and implement systems for efficient management of grant under contract (GUC) and subcontractor activities.
- Review, analyze, and prepare reports, contractual deliverables, and other correspondence on all activities and transactions related to assigned tasks, and provide timely information and status updates on assigned tasks as well as to ensure quality and branding.
- Serve as primary point of contact for client staff, including liaising client points of contact to ensure optimal communication and overall client satisfaction with project performance.
- Assist in development of procedures, policies, recordkeeping, and duties as required related to the overall administration of projects.
- Conduct field compliance reviews, start-up, and close-out activities as necessary for projects within the Africa region, including, but not limited to, financial, security, procurement, and personnel policy reviews. This includes conducting follow-on trainings and implementing improvement plans as necessary.
- Prepare and present comprehensive administrative, fiscal, statistical and technical studies, reports, evaluations, specifications and correspondence as required.
- Prepare, manage, and analyze project burn rates and budgets, to include leading contract financial modification proposals as necessary.
- Participate in, and manage the selection, hiring, and development of project staff and short-term technical assistance (both expatriate and local staff).
- Ensure that consistent, compliant personnel policies and procedures are implemented for field-office projects, including developing and conducting training as necessary.
- Empower, manage, and mentor project manager and associate staff members to ensure distribution of tasks as needed during project implementation.
- Other related duties as required.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of experience in international development required, including extensive administrative experience with project management functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in international development or a related field required (additional years of experience will be considered in lieu of advanced degree), Master’s Degree strongly preferred.
- Demonstrable experience in USAID contracting and grants and other USG international regulations.
- Knowledge of project management procedures for planning and processing international development projects, and for establishing plans, specifications, monitoring and management of the development projects.
- Ability to solve technical, managerial or operational problems and evaluate options based on relevant information, resources, well-rounded experience, and knowledge.
- Experience leading cost estimating and tracking and scheduling for international development projects.
- Experience in managing grants under contract (GUC) preferred.
- Skilled in the principles and practices of personnel supervision and management.
- Experience living or working in a developing country in Africa preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Fluency in English and working proficiency in French required.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally to developing countries required.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com