Senior Project Manager, Arlington, VA
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with more than 80 organizations across all sectors of international development with clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com .
**Please note: U.S. work authorization is required for this position.**
MSI is recruiting a Senior Project Manager (SPM) to handle a portfolio of projects that will include at least half-time on the Colombia Transforma Initiative project, a large and dynamic small grants project that supports USAID’s Office of Transition Initiatives’ (USAID/OTI) efforts to enhance Colombian ability to implement rapid response during the critical 36 months following the signature of the peace accords between the government and FARC.
The SPM will manage projects of considerable cost and technical complexity. She/he will possess specialized knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience to use independent judgment in the performance of their duties and be capable of carrying out work with little guidance or supervision. This individual is a self-starter: bright, motivated and dynamic. Additionally, this position requires proven experience and knowledge of FAR, USAID ADS, AIDAR and business practices. This position will also supervise the project manager(s) and reports to the Director of Operations.
- Coordinate closely with USAID/OTI Contract Officer Representative in Washington, DC on day-to-day project tasks
- Responsible for contractual and financial management of international development projects.
- Assist in development of procedures, policies, recordkeeping, and duties as required related to overall administration of projects.
- Participate in recruitment initiatives as required.
- Ensure project procurements are consistent with contract requirements and technical specifications by working closely with contracts department and technical staff.
- Work with other departments, subcontractors, and independent consultants on the implementation of complex project tasks, programming, and other activities for assigned projects.
- Supervise and mentor junior staff in managing the projects and closely collaborate with technical staff to ensure good communication and timely delivery of all required products.
- Plan, prepare and communicate schedules and progress records of projects’ activities and expenditures, and assist others in establishing project schedules and milestones.
- Establish systems for efficient management of subcontractor activities.
- Assist in the review, editing, and formatting of contractual deliverables and other products, and provide timely information and status updates on assigned tasks as well as to ensure quality and branding.
- Prepare and present comprehensive financial and administrative reports and correspondence, as required.
- Review and submission of client approval requests.
- Other related duties as required.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com
- Minimum of 6-10 years of experience in international development required, including administrative experience with project management type functions
- Bachelor’s Degree in international development, business, finance, economics or a related social science field required (additional years of experience will be considered in lieu of advanced degree), Master’s Degree preferred.
- Demonstrable experience in USAID contracting and grants and other USG international regulations.
- Knowledge of project management procedures for planning and processing international development projects, and for establishing plans, specifications, monitoring and management of the development projects.
- Demonstrated experience using a variety of small grant mechanisms to accomplish USAID goals, including in-kind, direct delivery of goods and services, and short term technical assistance, strongly preferred. Ability to solve technical, managerial or operational problems and evaluate options based on relevant information, resources, well-rounded experience, and knowledge.
- Experience with USAID project start-up and/or close-out highly desirable.
- Leading cost estimating and tracking and scheduling for international development projects.
- Skilled in the principles and practices of personnel supervision and management.
- Proven experience managing USAID projects required. Experience managing USAID/OTI projects highly preferred.
- Past experience with USAID new business development and proposal writing preferred.
- Experience living in a developing country preferred.
- Willingness to travel for extended periods of time (4-8 weeks) preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and editing skills required.
- Fluency in English and Spanish proficiency required.