The Senior Proposal Writer reports to the Director, Win Strategy Development. The position works closely with other members of the Development Division and collaborates with programs and technical staff. The incumbent may supervise junior staff and/or consultants.
- Research, write, and edit technical material for proposals and meet all proposal deadlines;
- Participate in proposal strategy, design, writing, and review sessions with Development Division and technical teams throughout the life of the proposal;
- Review and contribute to proposal outlines and compliance matrices;
- Work with subject matter experts to prepare material for proposals, including interviewing experts and/or reviewing and revising text prepared by experts;
- Review proposal pieces and final text for clarity, consistency, and responsiveness to RFP requirements, in preparation for Red Team reviews and final production;
- Travel to international field offices to establish relationships with the client, potential partners, and/or local staff; gather operational information and country context; and analyze the competitive environment for considering Creative’s differentiators;
- Periodically review and maintain Creative’s Writing and Style Guide;
- Provide support to Creative staff to improve proposal writing;
- As needed, edit and proofread proposal sections; serve as proposal reviewer, as required;
- Support other writing tasks (including marketing pieces, success stories, expressions of interest, country reports/briefing books, and others), as required; and
- Attend and participate in divisional business development and capture meetings.
- Technical proposals tell a compelling story, are well written, and adhere to the design set forth by the capture and proposal teams. Incumbent demonstrably engages in program design and effectively translates the design into compelling prose per the Proposal Manager’s schedule.
- Creative employees’ skills in proposal writing are increasingly improved due to incumbent’s effective training, mentoring, and one-on-one coaching on compelling proposal writing.
- Proposals are effectively improved due to incumbent’s quality reviews, editing, and integrating writing efforts.
- Staff are effectively supported in improving their proposal development and writing skills.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- M.A., or equivalent in international relations, development, journalism, or related field;
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience in the international development field;
- Minimum 4 years of proposal development experience for USAID and other USG agencies;
- Demonstrated success in writing USAID proposals;
- Excellent writing and editing skills; and
- Commitment to mission- and values-driven work environment.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Second language is desirable.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.