Requisition ID: req2111
Job Title: Senior Protection Manager
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: El Salvador
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Senior Protection Manager will serve as the overall technical lead for the Protection programme and will be responsible for providing strategic direction and vision to the IRC’s protection response in El Salvador as the team launches programming in the country (initial programme to be focused in/around the San Salvador area). The Senior Protection Manager will be responsible for the implementation of all aspects of a quality, protection response combining information sharing, access to information on rights and entitlements, access to services and basic needs assistance, risk reduction, vulnerable case identification and referrals and specialized programming for women and children. The Senior Protection Manager will oversee an initial overall team of 7 staff , who will focus on setting up activities in target communities in/around San Salvador, launching and managing an innovative interactive information platform to connect POM with available services which will i
nclude a helpline and a website, CuentaNos.org, linked to a Facebook page; respond to the immediate needs of POM through the provision of emergency cash assistance;, and capacity building and partnerships with Civil Society organizations and institutions serving populations affected by violence within the country.
Based on needs identified during the assessment phase, the Senior Protection Manager will launch programmes building on the initial pilot strategy for the IRC mission in El Salvador, interfacing with technical colleagues in HQ. The Senior Protection Manager will also support fundraising efforts as needed, participate in protection actor coordination meetings, and work closely with the IRC El Salvador Head of Mission to continuously review the implementation strategy for effectiveness and fit for purpose, as well as to support the adaptation of the model for further expansion throughout El Salvador and/or the region, as needed.
The Senior Protection Manager will report directly to the IRC El Salvador Head of Mission.
CVS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH
* Provide technical and management leadership to the start-up and implementation of the Protection Programme in accordance with best practices and IRC policy.
* Contributes to the development of any revision of the El Salvador Programme Strategy planning and documentation during and at the end of the initial 6-month pilot phase, in consultation with the technical unit and in collaboration with the IRC El Salvador Head of Mission.
* Provides technical guidance on confidential and safe data collection, case identification, safe information sharing and referral mechanisms in line with internationally recognised best practices.
* Support, as needed, the identification of key partners working with targeted persons of concern for partnerships based around acute basic need provision (cash programming) and capacity building/programme expansion for protection programming.
* Support to improve quality of specialized services available in country in addition to contributing to the standardization of protection protocol and SOP’s.
* Support actions to mainstream cash/voucher assistance into protection programming.
* Liaise with Violence Prevention and Response Unit technical experts at HQ to ensure program quality.
* Participate in coordination mechanisms at the national, and, as appropriate, at the sub-national, level.
* As much as possible, participate in general protection and child protection coordination mechanisms (in the event a separate mechanism exists for women and girls (i.e. GBV task force).
Staff Supervision and Development
* Directly supervises the Protection Manager (Capacity Building and Monitoring), Information Platform Officer, and the Protection Programme Cash and Voucher Senior Officer and provides quality oversight to and mentoring of the protection officer and the protection information assistants.
* Ensure a focus on providing adequate capacity building and training for IRC staff especially during the pilot phase of the programme.
* Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions
* Ensure timely completion and submission of monthly timesheets, probation reviews and performance reviews
* Overall responsible for staff work plans, work and vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities
* If/as required identify staff performance issues and work with Human Resources to document and address these in accordance with the National Staff Employment Policies
Articulation of broader Protection Strategy
* Based on experience during the pilot phase of IRC programmes in El Salvador, support articulation of a broader programme strategy (if indicated) to include considerations for longer timeframe, geographic scale up, and increased direct service provision.
Fundraising against Program Strategy
* As needed, support the El Salvador Head of Mission to pursue new funding opportunities to deliver on the initial program strategy and/or to support an eventual scale up.
Grant Planning, Implementation, and Reporting
* Lead the overall implementation of the Protection programme and provide guidance to the protection staff to ensure that stated goals and objectives are met, that the project is appropriately monitored and evaluated, and that project reports are written and submitted in a timely manner
* Prepare program work plans that meet the program objectives and prepare appropriate operational guidelines for project staff;
* Ensure that project activities are implemented within the assigned budget parameters, manage all financial aspects of the protection programs, approve relevant expenses and review expenditures, in consultation with the Finance Team;
* Analyze protection concerns in San Salvador and throughout the country, propose new areas of work to IRC, and participate/lead in proposal development;
* Development/ maintenance of effective and efficient oversight, support, quality control and reporting systems and processes.
* Ensure regular field monitoring and modifications as required.
* Ensure IRC and donor reports as per set schedules on grant activities, indicators and achievements are produced in quality.
* Aid in the adaptation of the program strategy at the midway point of the pilot, support donor reporting and the final pilot project report, as well as aid in the development of any reports/recommendations related to next steps or the continuing strategy for programming in El Salvador.
* Provide support to sit-reps, and other reporting as requested by the IRC El Salvador Head of Mission or Technical Unit.
Ad hoc support to Head of Mission
* Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with external parties as needed (in line with IRC security protocols and joint decisions through the Head of Mission and Security and Operations Manager) to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
* As needed, support Head of Mission for occasional tasks that may arise that are not detailed above.
* Advanced degree preferred; in social work, psychology, human rights, international law, social science or related field.
* Five plus years of experience implementing child protection, women’s protection and/or protection programming in an emergency or complex emergency and security contexts, with demonstrable understanding of the relevance of international humanitarian law and human rights law to humanitarian action; Professional experience in the Northern Triangle region a plus.
* Solid knowledge and understanding of international child protection and women’s protection standards and best practice
* Applied experience in mental health and psychosocial support programming;
* Demonstrated experience in capacity building and mentoring of staff, as well as identified partner organizations.
* Must be capable of applying skills and knowledge in a range of capacities, including direct implementation, advisory functions, training, and the transfer of technical knowledge and management skills to others.
* Demonstrated experience and success working in partnership models and with remote management
* Demonstrated experience working with new programme start up preferred
* Demonstrated capacity to work with innovative systems and creative approaches to programming. Experience working with new technologies and/or hotlines is an asset.
* Strong program and budget management skills including planning and reporting across multiple grants;
* Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with internal and external parties
* Strong program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills
* Fluency in Spanish and English is required
* INGO experience required