The International Education Division is currently accepting applications for Senior Reading and Mathematics Director for the anticipated USAID-funded “Improved Basic Education in the Kyrgyz Republic (IBE-KR) Republic. The 5-year activity seeks to improve learning outcomes for 300,000 students in grades one through four. Successful candidates must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Position is based in Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic.
The Senior Reading and Mathematics Director will be responsible for the overall management, implementation, oversight and direction of the reading program. Responsibilities include but are not limited to providing technical direction towards reading policy, coordinating all training, advising on teaching methodologies, leading the technical dialogue on reading with MOES and managing the entire reading team. Additional to this core function, s/he will be responsible for design and implementation of the early grade mathematics pilot, and its subsequent scale up.
- Provide technical leadership for the enhancement of the existing curriculum and teacher professional development activities.
- Provide quality assurance in the review, implementation and evaluation of literacy curricula and materials in all targeted languages.
- Spearhead the efforts to design, implement, and scale-up early grade mathematics program.
- Serve as the direct technical counterpart for MOES in the adaptation of appropriate teaching and learning materials, including lesson plans in the target language(s)
- Coordinate input from other RTI and Kyrgyz experts.
- Leverage project M&EL data to inform adjustments in the project’s technical approach and ensure continued improvement in student reading outcomes
- Develop and strengthen new and existing partnerships with other education institutions, contributing to the creation and delivery of quality teacher professional development activities and trainings
- Collaborate with government partners and subcontractors responsible for coaching and community mobilization, to ensure the technical accuracy of their approaches
- Coordinate with other donors and NGOs working on literacy interventions in the Kyrgyz Republic to ensure that the reading program, as well as the math program, is coherent technically and does not have conflicting technical interventions at the national and sub-national levels.
- PhD (preferred) in education with a focus on reading and math competencies and outcomes.
- Minimum of 6 years of demonstrated track record of working in area of reading and mathematics.
- Prior experience with the development of early grade reading and mathematics materials, training programs, classroom monitoring protocols, and tests and assessments, including EGRA and EGMA, is required.
- Prior experience serving in a technical leadership capacity on USAID-funded projects preferred.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and motivate personnel.
- Excellent communication skills and ability (verbal and written).
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability.
- Must be professionally proficient and fluent in written and spoken English.