The Senior Research Associate will respond to qualitative and quantitative requests from USAID and external customers. This involves studying, analyzing, applying, and drawing conclusions from raw data, academic research, and professional literature on international development and humanitarian assistance and in the social and political sciences, computer and information science, library science, mathematics, economics, biological, and earth sciences.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Apply various social and earth science research methods, particularly as practiced in formal academic settings;
- Use statistical theory and methods to collect, organize, interpret, and summarize international development and foreign assistance data;
- Employ advanced query and retrieval techniques to search, mine, and manipulate USAID and external repository holdings to generate accurate insight for customers;
- Process and harmonize datasets and information that contain heterogeneous content and to implement program, project, and research designs;
- Conduct performance evaluations based on structured metrics and indicators and will produce finished research products for USAID staff;
- Communicate analysis to a variety of USAID staff;
- Provide USAID staff with qualitative analysis training.
- Education: Master’s Degree in Economics, Ph.D. preferred.
- Experience: Five years of related experience in qualitative analysis. Evidence of past publications would be a plus and have demonstrated ability to lead or advise interdisciplinary teams.
- Knowledge: Knowledge of and interest in the international development and relations fields; must have an understanding of USG (particularly USAID) communications and marketing procedures.
- Skills: Senior Associates must have a graduate degree (PhD preferred) in a field related to international development with evidence of having completed multiple successful research projects. Understand the mandates and authorities of Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) and preferably have a history of engagement with academic and related professional networks. Excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills, including with technical audiences. Strong leadership and solid teamwork.
The applicant must be a U.S. citizen to qualify for the required U.S. government security clearance for this project. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.
NOTE: This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
About the Organization
DevTech Systems, Inc. (DevTech) is an international consulting firm dedicated to development, with 35 years of experience providing advisory services and technical assistance to government, private sector, and civil society stakeholders in more than 100 countries. DevTech core practice areas include: Economic and Data analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation, Education and Youth Development, Gender and Inclusive Development, and Public Financial Management. The Support Team Manager will work on the new USAID Analytics, Data, Visualization, and Information Services (ADVISE) project. ADVISE’s main purpose is to improve the usage of USAID data and information, so that the Agency continues to ensure its development outcomes are supported by evidence.