The Foundation seeks a Senior Research Officer with considerable experience in the design, training, conduct, and analysis of HIV related research in developing country settings. The Senior Research Officer will work within the EGPAF research department under the VP of Research to achieve the Foundation’s goal of advancing research that enhances the prevention, care and treatment of Pediatric HIV/AIDS, with the ultimate mission of eliminating Pediatric HIV/AIDS. The Senior Research Officer will be responsible for all aspects of the conduct of international research studies, from idea conception, proposal submission, protocol development, personnel training, study implementation, data collection and management, analysis, and manuscript preparation. In addition, he/she will contribute to the training and mentoring of research staff globally.
- Under the leadership of the VP Research and Directors, contributes to the development and implementation of the Foundation’s research agenda
- Develops research protocols, proposals, grants and other requests for funding related to HIV clinical, implementation, or program effectiveness research in collaboration with other departments throughout the Foundation and in global and country programs.
- Contributes to all aspects of the research studies, from idea conception, protocol development, personnel training, study implementation, data collection and management, analysis, and manuscript preparation
- Provides support to country research teams with the logistical aspects of implementation of research protocols, including human subjects issues, IRB applications, development of study procedures, study conduct and data collection
- Ensures the highest quality scientific, ethical and regulatory standards for all research activities
- Work with the Research department and outside advisory committees to develop Foundation RFA and subsequently review, select, and monitor progress of external research grantees
- Provide training and mentorship to in-country colleagues and junior research department members to advance their knowledge, experience, and further their career development
- Collaborates with the Foundation M&E Team to utilize program data to support program assessments and design and implement operational and evaluation research for global program improvement
- Serve as source of scientific information on HIV/AIDS, review of relevant scientific literature, and provide updates on results of current research in the field for staff and outside sources as appropriate
- Encourages and facilitates the sharing of research related activities between countries, including dissemination of results.
- MD, PhD or similar advanced degree in public health, maternal child health or HIV related health science
- Minimum of 5 years clinical or implementation/operations, or behavioral research experience required
- International developing country research experience required
- Proven experience in providing technical support to health professionals in research design, quantitative, qualitative, and/or operations/implementation research methodologies, and study implementation in developing countries
- Ability to travel internationally up to 35% to the Foundation’s sites, primarily in Africa.
- French or Portuguese competency is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of HIV, PMTCT, MCH, and HIV care and treatment
- Demonstrated experience in the development of research proposals and management of research in developing countries
- Strong analytical skills preferred
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to prioritize, take initiative and follow-through.
- Ability to support and direct the implementation of organizational ideas, projects and studies once made.
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and build partnerships and consensus, within teams, governmental agencies and with other stakeholders.
- Proven ability to work effectively as member of dynamic team in fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, are required