Senior Researcher, Community Development, Indonesia
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI implements nearly 100 projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Morocco, Lebanon, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with more than 80 organizations across all sectors of international development with clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
MSI is seeking a senior local researcher to conduct qualitative data collection and analysis of communities in Riau, Sumatra for a foundation. The research will entail conducting key informant interviews and group interviews with groups of stakeholders whose input is needed for a future project design. The researcher will lead the field research with the participation of the foundation’s staff. The researcher will conduct field research in Bahasa, present detailed notes in English, and provide a brief synthesis report in English. The researcher will be expected to participate in program design sessions scheduled for the first week of March.
The expected start date is on/about January 23 and end date is on/about March 23. The level of effort is up to 30 days.
With the assistance of MSI technical staff based in Washington, DC, the Senior Researcher will:
- Assist with the development of key informant interview and group interview guides.
- Develop a research plan and timeline.
- Liaise with foundation staff.
- Conduct approximately 20 to 25 interviews and 10 group interviews.
- Take notes directly during the interviews or from recordings of group interviews.
- Transcribe notes and translate into English.
- Create a brief summary report of key findings, conclusions and recommendations.
- Present findings to the foundation and MSI in Jakarta and/or Riau.
- Participate in strategic planning sessions with MSI in Jakarta and/or Riau.
- At least a Master’s degree in anthropology, sociology, international development or other related field.
- At least 10 years of work experience with a Master’s degree or four years of work experience with a Ph.D.
- At least five years demonstrated experience using qualitative data collection techniques.
- Knowledge of community or social development programs.
- Excellent personal communication and English writing skills.
- Experience working across cultures in complex environments.
- Fluency in Bahasa.
- Experience with qualitative software is a plus.
- Experience in evaluation and/or strategic planning is a plus.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com