Requisition ID: req1319
Job Title: Senior Social Emotional Learning (SEL) and Child Protection Specialist
Sector: Child Protection
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Nigeria - Maiduguri
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC), one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC has been supporting education in emergencies programming in Adamawa state since early 2014 and in the states of Borno and Yobe since 2017. The programmatic approach to education aims to ensure that children are gaining literacy, numeracy and social emotional skills appropriate for their age, in safe and nurturing environment – in both formal and non-formal settings.
The Senior SEL and Child Protection Specialist is the technical lead in Social Emotional Learning and Child Protection for the project. S/HE will ensure that all activities related to SEL and Child Protection are delivered in a timely manner and are of high quality. They will play a key role in developing the capacity of project staff in their technical areas, as well as building the capacity of partner, government, community and school personnel in the implementation of Child Protection and SEL activities in accordance with project standards. They will also ensure that protection and safeguarding is mainstreamed throughout project activates.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Senior Education Advisor and is based in Maiduguri, Borno state
* The capacity of project staff, government, community and school personnel - to deliver activities that improve the social emotional well-being of children – is built.
* The capacity of project staff, government, community and school personnel - to ensure children are safe in their schools and communities – is built.
* Child Protection and Safe-guarding is mainstreamed throughout the project
* Provision of overall technical support to the project on social emotional learning, child Protection and Psychosocial support in line with evidence based good practice and extend technical oversight to project partners implementing activities in the field, ensuring that programs are of high quality and that programs are driven by data and learning, working in conjunction with other colleagues in the program.
* Responsible for the overall practical day-to-day management and implementation of the program while promoting the active participation and involvement of relevant government officials at the state and local level as well as stakeholders on SEL and Child Protection activities
* Training of, and support to, Master trainers, government staff and local partners on the SEL/PSS/Protection package for teachers in formal schools
* Training of, and support to, Master trainers, partners and school staff on PSS/ Protection package for school counselors/ senior teachers in formal schools
* Review of training materials and approaches associated with formal schools
* Serve as liaison with government and local partners on issues pertaining to SEL and Protection
* Conduct monitoring of SEL and Child Protection Activities, and analyze monitoring data, making appropriate adjustments to the programmatic approach based on observations and feedback
* Lead the staff performance management, including the development or review of staff performance objective, establishment of professional development plans and conducting annual staff performance evaluations for SEL and Child Protection Coordinator and Officer. In addition provide training and professional development opportunities for the team (mentoring, on-the-job sessions as well as formal trainings).
* Provide technical leadership to conduct assessment of SEL and CP activities.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
* University degree in Education, development studies, psychology, or other related field
* At least 5 years proven experience in technical areas related to this role (Child Protection, Psychosocial support, Social Emotional Learning)
* At least 2 years of relevant professional humanitarian or development experience with an international organization, including extensive exposure to education programming
* Experience in a managerial position and demonstrated capacity in office management, including capacity building of staff
* Strong verbal communication skills and effective in representation and liaison with external actors
* Excellent spoken and technical writing ability in English, including report writing
* Ability to be work as part of an in-country team, quickly set up productive working relationships, and deliver high quality training.
* Knowledge and understanding of the complexity related to crisis including IDP situations
* Familiarity with USAID or other international donor guidelines strongly preferred
* Previous experience in an insecure or conflict-affected setting strongly preferred
* Knowledge and experience in the north east Nigeria is preferred
* Good knowledge of the local language- Hausa- is preferred
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Please note: Position is subject to IRC’s winning the bid and availability of funding.