The Senior Specialist, Humanitarian Child Protection provides technical support for Save the Children’s child protection programs across a range of humanitarian contexts, including contributing to strategic directions and plan, developing and maintaining key external and internal partnerships, supporting program design and resource development and responding to emergencies. You will provide technical assistance to country offices to develop, implement, improve, and evaluate child protection program including directly responding to emergencies.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
Technical Assistance (50%)
In collaboration with the Humanitarian Child Protection Team, Department of Humanitarian Response (DHR) and Regional and Country Offices:
- Provide technical assistance to regional and country offices in formulation of program and country child protection strategies
- Provide assessment, design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation support to regional, and country offices.
- Build capacity of country offices and other sector staff to design and implement quality programs
- Respond to emergencies and help country offices integrate child protection strategies into emergency preparedness, response, recovery, and transition activities.
- Support quality program design and implementation for child protection programming from public and private funding streams, including foundations, private donors and key bilateral donors.
Program Learning and Innovation (20%)
- Monitor new developments in child protection programming and support Save the Children (SC) to apply best practices in child protection in emergencies
- Support regional and country offices to develop case studies, reports, and other multi-media documentation of program innovation and successes
- Along with child protection and education team, support the development of evidence-based program standards and guidance that reflect Save the Children best practices and state of the art approaches and promote widespread application. Set technical standards/priorities for evaluation and for research.
- Promote the application of best practice and child protection as a key program area and work to keep it visible as an important thematic area globally.
Public and Private Resource Mobilization (20%)
- Support child protection emergency response teams to build a diversified portfolio of funding for child protection
- Establish/maintain new/existing relationships with key donors (headquarters and regional/country level) and relevant SC colleagues.
- Contribute to agency knowledge and decision-making concerning pursuit of funding opportunities.
- Support development and submission of quality proposals in response to identified opportunities.
Internal and External Representation (10%)
• Represent Humanitarian Child Protection on external and internal bodies of key importance to Save the Children.
• Liaise with other program areas and sectors including Education, Livelihoods, Health, Nutrition and Humanitarian Response, to coordinate programming, ensure quality, expand coverage of essential services, and develop multi-sectoral interventions.
• Liaise with key partner agencies and donors, to achieve the goals and implement the tasks described above
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, child protection, or related field or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 5-7 years relevant work experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of key child protection in emergency issues including family separation, sexual and gender based violence and psychosocial distress.
- Proven experience providing technical support and oversight to child protection programs.
- Proven ability to lead strategically and collaboratively
- Proven verbal and written communication skills in English
- Demonstrated success in working and thinking globally, developing relationships with diverse colleagues and counterparts
- Willingness and ability to travel approximately 50% of the time, often to complex and difficult environments.
- Second language proficiency - Spanish, Portuguese, French, Arabic or other relevant language desirable
- Previous onset emergency response experience is preferred
- Experience in program design and proposal development for private foundations, bi- and/or multilaterals.
Why you should join the Save the Children Team…
Save the Children US offers outstanding benefits that include health, dental, vision and life insurances, pet insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program, 403(b), generous vacation, personal sick leave, family leave, parental/adoption leave, commuter benefits, dress for your day, and much more.
Click here to learn more about how Save the Children US will invest in YOU!
About the Organization
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation. Any violations of this policy will be treated as a serious issue.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.