As the focal point for Protecting Life in Global Health Assistance (PLGHA) in the Save the Children US (SCUS) International Programs Division, the Senior Specialist will work closely with relevant International Programs staff, other key stakeholders across the agency, and SCUS’s partners – including Save the Children International (SCI) – to ensure that Save the Children delivers high-quality programs in compliance with PLGHA. The Senior Specialist will support all aspects of SCUS’s PLGHA compliance, including pre-award assessments, training and capacity building, monitoring, and continuous improvement.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
- Lead or assist on updating, documenting, and implementing procedures related to PLGHA compliance;
- Develop and deliver training tailored to ensure that SCUS and its partners’ staff understand SCUS’s and their own individual responsibilities with respect to PLGHA compliance;
- Update and disseminate tools, templates, and other resources to assist SCUS and its partners’ staff in complying with PLGHA;
- Coordinate and undertake monitoring activities, including spot checks where appropriate;
- Respond to inquiries from SCUS, SCI, and other partner staff on PLGHA compliance;
- Coordinate with other divisions to respond to potential violations of agency procedures related to PLGHA and take corrective action;
- Document and, as requested, provide reports on compliance activities; and
- Travel periodically to Country Offices (COs) and Regional Offices in support of the above activities.
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in managing USG-funded awards.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant experience required.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in interpreting and applying statutory and regulatory language in executing awards from USG entities and in maintaining a current knowledge of changes in the language, application and enforcement of this language.
- Applied knowledge of the USG’s PLGHA policy and its application in international assistance.
- Experience providing compliance training.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and as a team member with diverse Home Office, CO, and partner agency staff.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Able and willing to travel overseas to conduct staff training and provide PLGHA compliance assistance to COs up to 15% time.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Previous experience providing compliance training in a multicultural setting.
- Language skills in French, Spanish, or Arabic.
Why you should join the Save the Children Team
Save the Children US offers outstanding benefits that include health, dental, vision and life insurances, pet insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program, 403(b), generous vacation, personal sick leave, family leave, parental/adoption leave, commuter benefits, dress for your day, and much more.
Click here to learn more about how Save the Children US will invest in YOU!
About the Organization
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation. Any violations of this policy will be treated as a serious issue.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.