UNOPS office in Sri Lanka provides technical, operational and administrative support to 4 countries in the South Asia region: Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. UNOPS work in this region focuses on the construction and operation of high quality sustainable infrastructure, sustainable procurement, project management for host governments, development partners and UN agencies.
UNOPS’ work in Sri Lanka focuses on the construction and operation of high quality sustainable infrastructure and sustainable procurement, project management, timely provision of services, and the use of most relevant technologies. Such projects provide social and economic benefits to vulnerable populations across the country, and contribute to poverty eradication. This includes construction of schools, hospitals, water networks, urban sewerage and drainage facilities, harbours and anchorages, waste management facilities, climate change mitigation, as well as a range of “soft” support in Capacity Building, operations and maintenance of public assets, local governance, etc.
Purpose and scope of Assignment
UNOPS Sri Lanka currently has a number of initiatives in the pipeline which needs to be closely developed in partnership with the Government of Sri Lanka and selected development partners. These initiatives include in areas of DRR, resilience, health and waste management to name a few. UNOPS Sri Lanka is seeking a well experienced professional with strong business and political acumen who could support the country team to gain traction on these files and develop new leads as prioritised with the Government of Sri Lanka. The Senior Strategic Partnerships Advisor shall:
- provide strategic advice and guidance to UNOPS Sri Lanka senior management, and
- support to establish key linkages, rapport and network with the Government of Sri Lanka.
Under the overall supervision of the Director a.i. of UNOPS Sri Lanka, the incumbent will perform the following specific duties and responsibilities;
1. Strategic Information gathering, Analysis and Communication
- Keep abreast of the political dynamics and strategic direction of the Sri Lanka Government, especially that of the President’s and Prime Minister’s Office and key partner Ministries, and regularly provide analysis and strategic advice to the UNOPS Sri Lanka senior management on current developments, trends and future plans of the Government;
- Identify information requirements of the local authorities, including central and provincial Government offices, civil society and local NGOs, and make recommendations on their needs for the development of UNOPS activities;
- Guide and support the UNOPS Sri Lanka office to ensure that the flow of right and strategic information is established and maintained;
- Guide the UNOPS Sri Lanka Partnerships Unit in collecting and maintaining a comprehensive operational information database, including names of key government officials and contact details.
2. Strategic advice and guidance to UNOPS Sri Lanka Senior management
- Assist the UNOPS Sri Lanka Office to acquire business in key areas of organizational focus like infrastructure, procurement, fund management, HR Services and project management with sectoral focus on environmental management, solid waste management, health, education etc.
- Support Senior Management’s overall liaison with Government and local authorities, including arranging access to the senior leaderships of the country;
- Support and promotes the UNOPS mandate at key Government, donor and UN meetings as required;
- Communicates with relevant government ministries, ministers, heads of departments and other key officials to clarify issues that may hinder the country office activities;
- Guide UNOPS Sri Lanka alignment with the Government’s strategic priorities and directions for the forthcoming business planning and strategy (2018);
- Recommend solutions and provide strategic trouble-shooting;
- Facilitate the development of new business and partnership relationships in Sri Lanka between UNOPS and other ministries/Other UN Agencies/organizations.
• Performs any other related duties as required.
Please visit the online vacancy for more information and to apply: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=16777
- Master’s Degree in Public Affairs (Policy or Administration), Business Administration, Law, International Development or international relations, or other related fields of study.
- A minimum of 10 years (or more based on academic credentials) in project/program/portfolio setup/design, planning, procurement, resource allocation/management, implementation, stakeholder management, monitoring/oversight, and risk management;
- Experience in developing complex partnerships with government stakeholders and development agencies;
- Substantial field experience and demonstrated ability to deliver multi-disciplinary projects/programs/operations in conflict and/or post-conflict environments and development setting;
- Regional experience (i.e. Asia) is an advantage; experience in Sri Lanka particularly in Government at a senior level is mandatory; Retired Civil Servants are encouraged to apply.
- Familiarity with private sector and donor management modalities would be advantageous;
- Proven ability to demonstrate success in dealing with donors and clients;
- Prior working experience with UNOPS or UN agency in project managerial, oversight and business development roles would be advantageous;
- Strong analytical and drafting skills required (supported with relevant reports if and when requested);
- Excellent oral, written, and structured presentation skills with the ability to address a wide variety of leadership, governmental, business, technical, beneficiary audiences;
- Prior experience in knowledge/information management system consultancy
- Prior experience in coaching/mentoring/capacity building
- PRINCE2 Practitioner and MSP Foundation certification an asset
- Fluency in English both written and oral is mandatory.
- Full professional proficiency of one or more of the local languages is required.
About the Organization
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peace-building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.