Job DescriptionPosition/Title: Senior Technical Advisor
Period of Performance: July 2018-March 2020
Location: This is a remote position, and the staff may be based anywhere, with a preference for Africa, especially East Africa to facilitate travel to Tanzania.
Travel: Four 2-week trips/year (1 trip/quarter) to Tanzania, including travel within Tanzania
The USAID PROTECT Project is a five-year (2015-2020) USAID-funded initiative implemented by RTI International. The objective of USAID PROTECT is to address the dynamics that threaten biodiversity conservation and inhibit private sector-led growth in Tanzania•s natural resource sector. USAID PROTECT is working towards the achievement of these objectives through implementing activities in four specific areas: 1) policy, research, and advocacy; 2) institutional strengthening and; 3) private sector investment in the wildlife sector.
USAID PROTECT is taking multi-faceted approaches to address the threats to wildlife conservation and the challenges facing the tourism sector and has developed many partnerships with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism and its agencies, as well as NGOs and civil society organizations. USAID PROTECT has a large grants program, several local subcontracts, and provides direct support to many of its partners.
USAID PROTECT requires a Senior Technical Advisor to provide guidance and support to the technical team and project leadership to develop, implement, analyze, and report on the activities.
Recognizing the complexity of the USAID PROTECT project and the multiplicity of approaches, USAID PROTECT•s Senior Technical Advisor will provide technical guidance and support in the development, implementation, analysis, and reporting of the technical activities.
The Senior Technical Advisor will provide technical guidance and support to the USAID PROTECT Technical team and leadership to develop and implement the technical activities. These activities include, but are not limited to:
• Provide technical guidance and support, including technical writing and editing, to support the development of USAID PROTECT annual workplans, technical activities, and reports.
• Provide technical guidance and support, including technical writing and editing, to the USAID PROTECT Technical staff and partners to develop, monitor and report on consultancies, grants and subcontracts.
• Provide technical guidance and support to the USAID PROTECT Technical staff and the M&E Specialist, to ensure that conservation results of technical activities are adequately captured in the M&E plan, indicators, and reports.
• Share new and appropriate conservation approaches with USAID PROTECT staff, for inclusion in activities.
• Complete any other duties/activities as directed by the COP in line with the Project•s objectives and the Employee•s abilities.
The Senior Technical Advisor will report to the Chief of Party.
Education and Experience:
• Master•s Degree or equivalent in a conservation related field.
• Minimum of 8 years of technical experience in biodiversity conservation in Africa, addressing issues such as community conservation, land use, wildlife corridors, private sector engagement, and tourism.
• Proven experience writing and editing on a broad range of biodiversity conservation issues.
• Experience working with local conservation organizations, a plus.
• Experience with foreign assistance-funded project reporting (USAID-funded programming preferred).
• Experience in wildlife conservation in East Africa, a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent English language skills (written and verbal) are required. Kiswahili language skills, a plus.
• Able to travel to and within Tanzania, at least quarterly, two-week long trips per year (1 trip/quarter).
• Ability to start by July 31, 2018.
About the OrganizationIDG Learning, Energy & Environment for Development