Palladium seeks a Senior Technical Advisor of agricultural trade and value chains for the anticipated USAID “Strengthening Agriculture and Regional Resilience (STARR)” activity that spans across all East African Community (EAC) countries (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda), and additional countries in East Africa (Zambia, Somalia, Sudan, Djibouti and Ethiopia). The STARR activity will promote increased agricultural production, investment, trade and resilience to shocks and stresses in the East Africa region by addressing agricultural issues that can mainly be solved on a regional basis.
STARR’s interventions will be directed through four interrelated project component areas:
1) strengthening cross-border agriculture trade and value chains,
2) improved regional agricultural inputs,
3) strengthening resilience, and
4) strengthening the regional policy environment.
Purpose of Position
The Component 1 Lead will lead implementation of all activities aimed at achieving Component 1 goals of strengthening of cross-border agriculture trade and value chains.
Duration: 4-5 years
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
* Provide technical and managerial support to strengthen cross-border VC trade and improve capacity to respond to shocks and stress. Focus value chains include but are not limited to: livestock, climate resilient staple crops, and horticulture.
* Lead efforts to identify cross-border value chain constraints and address barriers that limit trade competitiveness.
* Develop action plans for focus value chains in collaboration with other stakeholders such as regional institutions (EAC, COMESA, IGAD), governments, USAID, USDA and other actors.
* Identify new regional and international market opportunities and facilitate medium to long-term private sector investment in value chain systems, supporting industries and infrastructure.
* Improve the capacity of regional organizations and export-oriented actors in each value chain, such as associations and dealers, to address and facilitate cross border agriculture trade and barriers to trade.
* Share results and learning with project leadership, Palladium, and USAID.
* Develop strategies to target marginalized communities.
* Other duties as assigned.
* A Master’s degree in agricultural economics, international trade, policy, business, agricultural science, economics, marketing, trade or other relevant graduate degree.
* Fluency in English required and a local East African language preferred.
* At least five years’ experience in agribusiness and agricultural trade promotion in East Africa region.
* At least three years’ experience on donor-funded projects for agriculture and agribusiness.
* Experience working directly to integrate target vulnerable groups into market opportunities.
* Preference will be given to local East Africa country candidates.
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.